Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
christrouthunter988

mercury 9.9 ...2 stroke..need mechanic

Hi Guys,

Any direction on a good mechanic to get my newly acquired 9.9 mercury going? I believe it needs ignition parts, it sat outside for 2 years covered but will not fire.

I was gonna try  new coils in it to see if that helps, not seeing any spark inside the plug boots when turning. Just tired of troubleshooting I need it running.

I am almost positive it is a 1994 9.9 sailmaster...2 stroke

Thanks for any help!!

Make sure the tether cord kill switch is in on positio as this will shut ignition down for sure.If the kill switces,both tether and switch in throttle handle ar fuctioning correctly and you have no spark,the problem is more likely to be the CDI box or stator.CDI box cannot be tested on its own but stator can.You will have to get a Merc dealer to test the stator as he will have the correct specs and test equipment.

Good info about the kill switch/tether cord. Definitely check that.

I'd also grab one of those spark testers from autozone/sears/napa. For $10-15 you get a 100% positive idea that you do or don't have a spark. No need to screw with the plug lead or struggle to see a little arc off the plug itself.

Posted Image

Post up your serial number off the motor so we can dig deeper. If it has coil packs you can test them with a volt meter or swap them out rather cheaply. At least with the serial we can check what's involved.

am very suspect of both kill switches...sitting out for a few winters is deadly..SHE AINT SITTING OUT ANYMORE  :) 

My next project rig,

the 16 is gone now :(  .

.this 14 Smoker is sweet!!

I have the serial  ;  0G080512??

I appreciate the help here,

Ok- looks like you're correct on the year and that it's the "sailmate" version because the serial seems to agree.

If you suspect the engine kill button, you can follow the leads back from that button and disconnect one side then try it.

I didn't see it in the schematic but if you have a tether kill/safety switch, you can follow those leads back and disconnect one side and try that too. This switch would be less likely to be the culprit than the other, but could be worth a try.

Like I mentioned earlier, all of this is much easier to see your results if you grab a spark checker. I couldn't get by without mine.

Your main ignition parts on that model are: stator assembly, trigger assembly, switchbox assembly, coil (x2), plug wires, and spark plugs.

I will check and see if I have the service manual that covers that year. If I do you can test most of those components with a digital volt meter.

I didn't notice before that your post was directed more towards info on a repair center/mechanic, but just figured I'd post this in case you were still trying.

Edited by Meals-On-Reels

Still thinking...

There may be a 20A fuse on the main wire harness (there may not be one on the tiller handle model). Should be on a red wire.

Also, shift into F-N-R rather firmly several times. If it has a neutral safety switch it might be malfunctioning.

Disconnect the black/yellow stipe wire from the bullet connector on the switch box & ck for spark at the plugs. That will eliminate all kill wiring, switches ect.. Still no spark on either cyl. > the problem is most likely stator or switch box. Also ck all the bullet connectors on the switch box for corrosion aswell as the black ground wires that are under the screws that hold the switch box to the block.  

The replies are awesome!! Thanks for the help here.

I am not in a hurry to get it on the water but if the merc fires I might be :ninja: 

I am starting my own diagnostic on it, I'll post up a few pics of the motor cover off soon..new account here , I need to link up the droid to my posts so much easier.

-Chris

got the spark plug tester, no spark at all between the plugs and coils. Tried disconnecting both wires for the kill switches too, one red button on the tiller handel one on the motor a toggle. These were grounded to a screw next to the switch box, I just pulled the grounds off and taped them over? still no spark..

..gonna take a stab at the switch box and coils when the funds are available. switch box=  120 + 2 coils ..30+30..hope this nails it