Dipsy diver and Lead core

I usually run all my gear of riggers. Im picking up a couple rods with counters and spooled with lead core, so my question is...Is it possible to use dipsys with the lead core or would that be a disaster? Im looking to add a few rods to my salmon spread but would like to keep the lead core for lake erie eyes.

Don't think I like the idea of reeling in 300ft + of lead. Thanks

I don't know to much about dipsys yet but I do use my leadcore as flatline rods all the time. I will cut my 25' leader off and tie in 300' of mono on top o the lead and use it as a flatline pole, because I don't have as many poles as I would like! And then when you want to use the lead just cut the mono back to your original 25-50 foot leader. I'm sure it would work the same for dipsys if your like me and limited to the number of poles you have!!

Good luck

The whole idea of the leadcore is for its wieght to give you depth. I think the dipsy would pull so hard on the leadcore it would be uneffective. You would be better off just pulling the dipsy behind wire or braid. If it is depth you want from the leadcore without a long line use segmented leadcore say 3 colors with a snap weight or torpedo diver. If you wish to get that away from the boat use it with a planer board either big or inline.

See here for example.

http://www.torpedodivers.com/trolling.asp#leadcore

Edited by FSNmachine

Because leadcore will belly in the middle as you go slower you would have a lot of resistance with that line belly with a Dipsy Diver riding out on a side setting.It may work on the zero setting, but on a turn if on the inside it will head directly for bottom going slow.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If it were me (and I didn't have many rods...which is not the case and its why my boat is called the white porqupine) :) I'd opt for 30 lb. stranded wire.....most of the braid will catch the fleas very shortly.

Edited by Sk8man

• 3 weeks later...

Last week we ran our old grandpas Penn reel with 10 colours of lead core with one of my dads old trout lures with a big  buck tail, This was about 3 hundred feet of line with a 25 foot 40 lb mono leader and lots of backer line . This long line was a smash at the breakers ball .The fish just hammered it so hard we watched in awe as this big trout came up and right out of the lake, wagging his tail at us 3 times before he said goodbye. Keep the lead up top 30 to 40 or so and braided line or wire down deep . LBT1