Tohatsu kickers?

Thinking about getting a kicker for our 18 ft alumacraft. Thinking 8 hp found them on eBay for 1600 new in box shipped. Seems like a good deal anyone use one and have any input? Would 8 do the the trick boats pry 2500 lbs

Very happy with my 2013 Tohatsu 9.8 so far.  Very quiet, runs smooth, starts right up. The only difference between it and the comparable Mercury (besides the color/stickers) is the electric start button and the gear shift are on the motor instead of built into the handle like it is on the Mercury. I'd rather have it built into the handle, but for $600 less, I can deal with it.

Have a 3yr old 9.8hp on the big boat and just put a new 6hp on the little boat 3weeks ago. I can't say enough good things about them. Actually like them both better than my last Honda.

Keep in mind they offer two different high thrust props if you're ever looking to switch props. I went with the less aggressive of the two and like what it did on my boat (pretty heavy for a 21').

Just be sure if you go through ebay that the seller is an authorized dealer. You will need their dealer code for the warranty which is now pretty impressive at 5yrs (good on 2013's, but also on new leftover dealer stock dating back to 2011).

I got both of mine through internetoutboards.com (which is the same as online outboards.com). No tax and it was honestly at my door in 3days.

Oh, and it's every Mercury 30hp and below (as well as every Nissan, and as of a deal in 2011 with BRP/Evinrude 15hp and below models beginning with 2012 production). Merc 20hp and below are 100% Tohatsu designed and manufactured, 20-30hp are jointly designed, but Tohatsu manufactured.

Edited by Meals-On-Reels

Devilfish,

I have a Alumacraft 175 with a 115 etec. What motor is on your rig? The reason I ask is that the etec runs on the xd-100 oil. Will the Tohatsu run that oil as well? Meaning you can hook it up to your main fuel and oil tanks, foregoing the need for an extra can that takes up more space on the boat. Obviously, if you don't have an E-tec this point is irrelevant.

Thanks,

DJ

Thanks for all the input guys, definitely feel confident that this will be good now just a matter of rationalizing spending the money and pulling the trigger. Dj we have an 03 merc 2 stroke I believe we can run from the gas line?

Your E-Tec should be running off straight gas out of your main fuel tank as the XD 100 oil is directly injected into the motor from the oil tank under your engine cowl right? Another thing too consider also with the 8 hp Tohatsu is I believe the 8 & the 9.8 are the same engine,therefore the same size\weight just tuned differently using a different carb so if the price difference isn't an issue you may want to go with the 9.8. Some more food for thought.

Your E-Tec should be running off straight gas out of your main fuel tank as the XD 100 oil is directly injected into the motor from the oil tank under your engine cowl right? Another thing too consider also with the 8 hp Tohatsu is I believe the 8 & the 9.8 are the same engine,therefore the same size\weight just tuned differently using a different carb so if the price difference isn't an issue you may want to go with the 9.8. Some more food for thought.

i believe the 9.8 and the 15 are the same motor with different carbs. the 6 and the 8hp are the same as well. Could be wrong but...

4hp/5hp/6hp are all identical except the carb they have on them. Dealers, as well as Tohatsu themselves, will till you that you can make your 4/5/6hp motor any horsepower just by swapping the carb (no need for a new CDI box or a CDI re-map). This is similar to Yamaha that will let you turn your 4hp into a 6hp, but with them need the CDI box from the 6 and the jets for the carb (carb is same bore).

Tohatsu doesn't list the carbs for the 8/9.8/15 as interchangeable like they do for the lower HP so I'm not sure. But, being that the 8 and 9.8 have identical weights, their may be a way.

There is a dealer/repair center (Obersheimer's Marine) on Niagara Street in Buffalo that is great on giving out detailed info like this. He also let me test the high-thrust props before buying. Whether you stop in, call, or email, they are really great guys.

What steering bar would work with another larger outboard? Or better yet, what would be the best remote to use? to set  I have a Mercury 60/40 jet  that I can only use on the river here. a small motor like this would be perfect for the 10hp lakes.

Edited by shadster

Outboard to outboard shoyldnt cost you more than 20$. Look for "steering with a kicker" on this forum.

Sent from my Lenovo P770 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

"Outboard to outboard shoyldnt cost you more than 20$. Look for "steering with a kicker" on this forum."

Yep - we just have one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auxiliary-Motor-Connector-Rods/700014.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dsteering%26x%3D24%26y%3D8%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=steering&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Connects our 5hp Tohatsu-made Coleman kicker to the main outboard...

Edited by Mortigan

As for the kicker steering, you can go to

http://www.mcmaster.com/

and order all the parts to make your own link between the two for about $20 and have it all in stainless so it lasts and looks good forever.

They offer the quick connect ball joints and all-thread in stainless. That Panther company or whoever makes them wants like $60-80 for their stainless version. I think mine was $17+s/h.

As for the kicker steering, you can go to

http://www.mcmaster.com/

and order all the parts to make your own link between the two for about $20 and have it all in stainless so it lasts and looks good forever.

They offer the quick connect ball joints and all-thread in stainless. That Panther company or whoever makes them wants like $60-80 for their stainless version. I think mine was $17+s/h.

Can you post a couple pics at your convience that show how you hooked it up