Zach, Where did you hear about a die off?  I was talking to Booger two days ago and he didn't say anything about muskies dying. 

I was orriginally thinking about going to Waneta but I am undecided now because I heard that there is always a bass tourney there on opening day. That would mean that I would probably have to get there by 5AM to get a place to park at the launch or have the boat in the water the night before. I know a couple people who might let me park at their dock.  Otherwise I will go to the Upper Niagara.

Yeah the tourney last year was nuts.... We got there at either 6 or 7 and had to park a 1/4 mile up the road.

We are getting there the night before to try an avoid that, plus I want to try some topwater just before sunrise.

I hope you were just kidding about the kill!!!

I was just joking about the die off to keep everyone away, lol. Almost worked huh? Good job picking up clients for the opener Larry- I was amazed it wasnt booked a long time ago, good time of year. Best wishes to everyone who gets out!

Edited by zach

i'm going nowhere. today makes 3 weeks since I've been out. wife had a hip replaced and my current gig is home health aide. I won't be out again until the chatauqua tourney. I don't know how much cleaner my rig can get. maybe tomorrow I will clean the bilge out. one thing is for sure,I will never again complain about cold fronts,turnover,algae blooms,rain,hail,jet skis,cottonwood,floating weeds,or anything else. next time i'm out I will just thank god I am fishing and enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see your going down the night before Sol- it will give Nitro and I some company. Sol- you seem to do well taking new people out and gettin' em on fish from the past. Best luck to everyone- hope we all get monsters and have a blast! Should be busy on the lil lake but hopefully some fish get caught by everyone.

Edited by zach

Good Luck to everyone fishing Waneta this weekend.I took a boat ride this afternoon on the north basin of Chautauqua Lake to look around, my normal spot looks very good for the opener!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Im headed to Otisco within the hour. Tigerhunter if the alewives are still going at it on the west side in the evening there will be a surface or sub-surface bite as it gets dark on into the nite, and earlier they have been in the same water just further out. If I get into them today ill give you a heads up from my phone.

justin

This will be out first time fishing at night, could you guys send me a PM with any tips or advice if you don't mind.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to see you out there!

Thanks,

Trevor

Twas the day before Musky Season, when all through the Forums

Not a fisherman was stirring, not even Mike G.

The lures were hung in their boxes with care,

In hopes that a musky soon would be near.

Best of luck fishing tomorrow everyone!

--Joe

Well myself and about 10 other boats got skunked today.But not Dr.Dave he got 41 1/2", 39" & 29 1/2" muskies and a 27 1/2" walleye down south very shallow trolling.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by mostlymuskies

Nitro and I did 4 decent fish from 6am til noon. Casted til 8am but the weeds were all brown from the weed killer- never seen anything look so bad. Busy lake, hot colors were- 2 fish on Foiled Silver Perch, Special Perch and Hot Perch. Great fishing, great opener. Solgrande, "Right Said Fred" and Cpt Ed Cragg got at least 3 each also, fish were biting very well and Baker Baits were hot for us. Saw a good amount of fish caught today despite the conditions.  

post-144465-0-85713400-1371346484_thumb.jpg

post-144465-0-10572600-1371346502_thumb.jpg

post-144465-0-69799900-1371346536_thumb.jpg

post-144465-0-23773000-1371346555_thumb.jpg

Edited by zach

Nitro and Zach,  You guys did better than us. Mark and I launched the boat just before dark on Friday. We parked at a friend's cottage and slept in the back of trucks.  Hit the water just before 6AM and immediately observed a boat fighting a fish.  It was a mid 30's fish and they netted it with a nylon net and brought it in to the bottom of the boat to release it.  I tried to tell them to leave it in the water to remove the hooks but they seemed to ignore me. Some people either don't care or or are oblivious.

BlueEye, I would like to make a suggestion that a catch and release topic be pinned to the top of this forum page to hopefully educate some of the anglers who are unaware of proper catch and release practices and their importance. I will bring this up at the NY Muskies Inc 69 meeting tomorrow.

We started out casting the points on the southwest shoreline.  Mark had one follow and I caught a pickerel on a small crankbait.  The fish managed to flip its tail around so one hook was in its mouth and one was in its tail.  Started trolling about 9:30 and Mark boated a 33.5 in. fish about 11:AM on a jointed depth raider in chartreuse with red nose.  Kept trolling but nothing else for the time being and took a break about 2PM.  Got back on the water about 4PM and went back to trolling.  Mark had another fish on but it got off.  About 1/2 hr before sunset, we went back to casting.  I watched a mid 30"s fish hit my black and white Bulldog just under the surface about 30 ft from the boat and fought it about 6 seconds before it got off.  It was my 3rd cast with it.  We only fished another 20 min. because we wanted to get packed up and to the launch before dark.

Steve

Edited by muskiedreams

post-142867-13714271060184_thumb.jpg I will cut that guy some slack,maybe he was bass fishing. A lot of muskies get caught by folks after other species. They just don't know what to do. When I joined muskies inc. I got this release tips pamphlet. If we had them available at the launches of all Muskie waters perhaps we could save a few muskies from harm. We can get holders for the pamphlets for about ten bucks each. I don't know what muskies inc. would charge for pamphlets. If someone wants to take charge of putting them up I am willing to pay for it up to about 500 bucks. I'm thinking ten on the Larry,ten on Niagara ,one at waneta,coneseus,cannadarago .kick it around at the next meeting.