Help with Downrigger

I just bought a used Big Jon downrigger. Its an older version, I think its called a captains pack. Anyway I am having two issues with it:

1. When I lower the ball (10 lb) it goes down really fast even though I have the black nut on the spool tightened all the way. As an example one quick on and off on the down button allows six feet. If I hold the down bottom a few seconds it really takes off and continues to decent five or six feet after Its turned off.

2. When I retrieve the ball in the up position, the little red button on the side (breaker I think) trips. It takes a moment or two before I can reset it to continue to lift the ball. It will do this just about on every retrieve and maybe twice on a long retrieve.

Anyone have any idea what the issues might be?

I have a plug wired to the battery with a 25 amp inline fuse on the positive lead at the battery.

I have never seen these downriggers but I an wondering if something is reversed to where the down direction is actually the up direction and so on.  Maybe the cable is wound on backwards.  The reason I say this is because it requires more power to raise the ball where lowering is has the weight to bring it down and the motor is hardly needed.  If it is laboring when you raise it and moving very slow, that may be the reason.

I never use the down button on my Cannons... just a waste of juice.... I feel that I have more control by just using the drag knob to control them. Not sure what the setup is on a Big John having not used one in about a million years (a buddy used to have them on his boat). It takes both hands to do (one thumb on the reel and the other on the drag to lower) but I never even think about the down button after all these years . :)

First of all, sorry for posting this in the wrong area. Thought I was in "this old boat".

But anyway, thanks everyone for the responses. I am going to reverse the hookups. Sounds like that might be my problem. Also will try just using the clutch brake on the decent...................that makes a lot of sense.

Tight Lines

It is normal for those to drop a few feet after you turn the switch off. If your breaker is tripping when you pull it your power wires could be too light you should use a min of 12 gauge wire and if it is a long run to the battery you may want to use 10 gauge. Also the brushes on your motor could be worn.

Big Jons have a slow stop, they keep going a bit. Mine go for 2 feet after releasing the switch. I run 15 lb balls on tournament pros. Wire up with 10 AWG wire and it may cure your breaker problem. I had the same issue running with 12 AWG but, 10 cured it.