Thinking about installing an autopilot on my 1998 bayliner 2452 hardtop.

I have a teleflex cable steering system with an alpha one out drive. I was thinking about installing an autopilot system ( garmin or raymarine) I would like it to handle well in heavier waves and not just calm seas. Anybody have some advice on how hard of a project this is, and what system would work best. I plan on contacting Kevin Jerge in Wilson about this but wanted some other opinions as well.

I have a sport pilot plus that was just installed on my striper 2600, It was installed by anchor marine in erie pa, They are certified raymarine techsand installers. I also had them put one on my last boat, a 267 four winns, we fish erie for eyes mostly and it works great but is noisy, I think it has  handeled 3-4 ft. seas or calm just fine and you can adjust sensitivity for calm seas to.

I bought the first one for a mothers day gift for my wife, ya she was not impressed and said she was not needed to fish anymore,  Than we fished the first time using it. now she tans on the bow and I watch the poles.  Good luck with yours.

King-

I just wrote this in another post but I've had a ray marine sport since they came out a few years ago. I love it.

Pros: handles rough seas, easy install (need to mount flux gate compass, helm steering unit, control unit and the small control touch pad).perfect for cable steered boats

Cons: a bit noisy, makes passive steering stiff in standby mode

I would buy it again in a hearbeat

Good luck

Chris

What model do u have, momay? My biggest worry is buying a unit that doesn't hold up to rough seas. I'm really the only one that can keep a straight course when going into three or four footers, but I'm also the only one that can deploy rods too. I'm sure u know what I'm dealing with.

It is a cable steer and installed was about  - $3000.00, They also installed the sensor for the out drive to tell its position to the computer,( mind drew a blank on what this is called), If it is installed by a raymarine tech the waranty extends to three years. 

I have the SPX-5 Sportpilot with the original controller ( I think the units now have a fancier control panel). It can easily handle 3-4 footers. In fact it handles them better than I can. The counter steering can be a little annoying and loud at first but if u calibrate it correctly and u can adjust the sensitivity, it's fine.

Disclaimer - I do not have any personal or financial ties or sponsorship with ray marine.

If u ever want to see it in action - drop me a PM as u are always welcome on my boat for a seatrial.

Good luck !

Chris

I have a Garmin GHP 12 in my Searay. My boat has cable steering. It is connected to an Octopus drive unit. I think the entire system was about $2500. I did the install myself in a few hours. It keeps us straight in 4-5 ft waves.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app