Seneca 6/2/13.....10 foot rigger was hot!

Trolled at first light putting down 3 Suttons.  One on the tx22 board with 3 colors of core.  Other two on a 20 ft rigger and a 10 ft rigger  over 40 to 80 f.o.w.(zig zagging)  The first hour was uneventfull then the Browns turned on...boated two nice ones within 10 minutes or less.  Trolled for a half hour or so more then while checking my 20 ft rigger I caught out of the corner of my eye the 10 footer firing,  I had an aerial show of a very large assuming Landlock(possibly a bow) by the time I grabbed the rod and set the hook she was long gone.  All three fish were on the 10 ft rigger.   Quick question... I have been running three colors of core behind a tx22 for quite a few miles .  I am using about 75 feet of 10lb fluro leader...a #2 snapswivel and clipping the board about 75 ft or so on the big game mono behind the three colors.  The only fish I have caught was a pike...am I doing something wrong? Thanks,  Andy

I like short leads behind my cores 15-20 ft of flouro max.  With the 3 color you are already back 90' behind the board without considering your leader legnth.  Leadcore gives the spoon more action with shorter leader (rising and falling much more than with longer leader).

when i first used leadcore i used long leads and couldnt buy a hit after researching on this site i switched to short leaders in my case real short 6-10 foot my short cores have been my most productive shallow water rods ever since shorten the lead the action the core gives the lure is unbeatable

Your doing everything right ..... Leader length is a preference, I like at least 30 to 50 ft of 12lb fluoro carbon ..... I let all the 3 colors or whatever amount you are letting out into the water completely and then attach the tx 22 then I actually put a small rubber band around the release on the board to stop the board from slipping down the line when you get in to a big fish that acttually pulls the board under when they hit ( It happens trust me)... When they pop out of the release and fall all the way back to the spoon or lure of your preference this gives the fish enough leverage to pull the hook so keeping it attached to the line helps tremendously...

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke

The rubber band trick is interesting.  I have wondered what is going to happen when I hook up with one of those acrobatic Fingerlakes  Landlocks or bows and the board is smacking them and my spoon. Does it matter how far behind the core you clip your big game mono to the board or is it just however far from the boat you feel like running it?   Thanks guys,  Andy

Edited by apb

The board is supposed stay in place Andy and you take it off on the way in.....kinda clumsy but it works. There is a tension adjustment screw on the tx44 and I suppose it is the same on the tx22. I screw it down pretty good. I use the board with braid and it will slip somewhat without the rubber band approach. I originally tried using the board from another heavy boat rod (like a mast) as a regular planer board (experimenting so I took off the release and used another type on the back of the board but it didn't work....makes the board off balance. I actually prefer my old inline yellow birds for lighter stuff now.

Edited by Sk8man