Depth Raider will this work?

If I strip the coated cable on my downrigger and tie a wire knot to a stainless snap/swivel, like you would for a wire dipsy, would the signal on the depth raider work?

This way I could avoid using crimps or clinchers.

If you can, go to moore sub-troll's web site and order a "clincher" follow the directions and problem solved. you can even take the probe on and off. :)             I see you don't want to use a clincher but they are tight and fail-safe. No crimps are needed as well.

Edited by The Scottsman

thanks for the replies.  i tied the wire knot and electrical taped all the way from the exposed wire halfway down the swivel and  got to try it wed.  seemed to work, lost signal a lot but that was because of the antenna not being wet enough i think.  wet rag helped but still lost it once in a while.  Deepest the probe went down was 70 ft.  I can take it on and off with this setup as well.

the wire knot was a bear to tie with the coated cable however.

yes stripped the coating first, maybe about 4 or 5 inches and tied the knot.  went through the eye of the swivel easy but was hard to cinch it tight.  then the overhand loop wouldnt get as tight as i wanted either.

had much better signal yesterday, it didnt cut out once and we didnt even have a wet rag on the antenna. saw some crazy currents down 60-85 ft as well.

One trick to getting the know tight is to attach weight to rigger and have someone hold it down and use a pair of pliers to pull on tag end and synch tight. The more it is used the knot will tighten up