Keuka Keuka Lakers

OK, so on our first 4 trips on Keuka, my Grandson and I have kept 38 lakers. Catching limits on this lake is pretty easy and we keep them them all over 15" and after filleting them, they go to friends and family after we have a Saturday night fish cookout. So here is where it gets interesting.  Every laker we have caught has been a female with eggs.  Yes, 38 females! I noticed it after cleaning them the Saturday before last and I'll be darned, the 8 we brought home last Saturday were again all female with eggs. I was just curious if anyone else other than myself thought this was unusual?  Oh, let me add one more thing,  we have caught everyone on the same lures!  We fish with 2 riggers and 2 divers and use gold Laker Takers on all four.  They have always worked for us so why change. We catch them from 3 lbs to 7 lbs.  Maybe this Saturday we will try another color to see if we catch any males.

Question: Were they all caught in the same general area of the lake? I know that often individuals of the same year class are found together "clumped" in the same spots but interesting that this seems  those numbers are way outside normal random probability.

Edited by Sk8man

Yes Fishy has found that lakers are no problem catching on the west branch.For all of you fishing people fishing out of the State Park stop up and say hi to Fishy.Turn right out of park and 5th house on the left.Very stocked tackle shop . 3737 Pepper Rd

In response to Sk8man, we normally fish from the bluff to Gold Seal, but last weekend we went straight to Stone Point and did large circles in the center of the lake. Fished all rods with the same exact gold lure just to see if everyone we took home would be a female. Fished 3 hours with one 6lb2oz and the rest of the keepers 15" to 21" with several released under 15".  Again like I said, all females.   Next trip out, no gold just to see if it's a female thing! 

In response to Sk8man, we normally fish from the bluff to Gold Seal, but last weekend we went straight to Stone Point and did large circles in the center of the lake. Fished all rods with the same exact gold lure just to see if everyone we took home would be a female. Fished 3 hours with one 6lb2oz and the rest of the keepers 15" to 21" with several released under 15".  Again like I said, all females.   Next trip out, no gold just to see if it's a female thing! 

Ah. My biggest one on Keuka was 4.5 lbs. Would love to catch a 6lb+ one, figured they're mighty rare in those waters. Is there anything different one would do to try to catch the bigger ones, or is it basically a crapshoot? 

Wow! That sure is a puzzle....and here I thought it was only my ex-wife that was so attached to gold! :lol: