Fluoro leaders

Looking for some info on leaders.  I have been using Big Game 25lb with mixed success.  A good morning for me may be 2-5 fish.  I am wondering if a fluoro leader may up my success rate.  If so are any brands better than others and what is the best way to attache to the main line swivel or perhaps blood knot?

Thanks!

Some days I believe it matters.  If the fish are in an off mood, yes.  If they are super aggressive no.  Browns are a lot more line shy than other species.  Stick with QUALITY brands like P-line and Seagar.  Make sure you buy floro leader material not reel filler spools. 

I use Seaguar Fluoro leader material (there are two types, one has a smaller line diameter and has a yellow seal and is more expensive, so just buy the box with the red seal on it).

The knot to the swivel is a Trilene knot, and I join the mono to the leader material using an Allbright knot.

Good luck and be safe on the water,

Chris

25lb leader is pretty hefty leader material for some applications.  On copper and dipsies, that's a decent leader material, but may be too heavy for downriggers, espeically if you're running spoons.  The heavier line can affect the action of spoons, which can decrease the amount of bites you get on a presentation.

Flourocarbon is great leader material, as well as various mono lines.  Either way make sure it's quality line.

25lb leader is pretty hefty leader material for some applications.  On copper and dipsies, that's a decent leader material, but may be too heavy for downriggers, espeically if you're running spoons.  The heavier line can affect the action of spoons, which can decrease the amount of bites you get on a presentation.

Flourocarbon is great leader material, as well as various mono lines.  Either way make sure it's quality line.

I respectfully disagree on this. I have always run 30# Seaguar leader material on all my mono presentations (except my rod that I run flasher/flies which is leader-less) and have never thought that it affects lure action or hook up rate. When I ran 20# fluoro leaders, it resulted in more breakoffs for me later in the year when fish were bigger.

30# Seaguar fluoro leader diameter - 0.020"

30# Big Game Mono line diameter - 0.022"

Thus, line diameter is not an issue. Also, the stiffer fluoro leader actually will give more lure action than the softer/stretchier mono.

On my coppers, I use 30# fluoro and on my lead cores I use 20#, b/c I have a hard time getting the 30# into the sheath.

- Chris

There is not a fish that swims in Lake Ontario that will break   #20 Seaguar floro as long as its matched with a quality rod n reel. IMO.. I personally never use anything for kings heavier that #20 for all spoon applications and #12 to #15 for the majority of the season.  #30 mono straight to a flasher/fly but thats it.  I know you will have a higher hook up rate going as light as possible when presenting a properly tuned spoon... That includes terminal tackle as well. The more action the better. but thats me....

Edited by on the lam

I am spooling my rigs up with 30lb biggame and have 18lb and 12lb flourocarbon leader..that is my plan. if running dodgers, should I tie straight to the 30lb big game and skip the leader altogether?

Great responses gentlemen, from some great names on the lake. I can appreciate all of your great knowledge and experiences and advice for me to consider going back to 20# leaders.

Good luck to all,

Chris

Yes, yes, yes, flurocarbon leaders for any type of fishing. Seaguar is the best, double Bimini knot to the swivel. Blood knot always to join 2 lines together unless you're talking about wire. Only exception would be if you don't want to land the fish......

30lb Fluoro for divers and coppers...both spoons and flashers.   40lb for flies.   We have seen no difference in our program between 20lb and 30lb, other than 20lb will break on a diver hit most times, even with a snubber.

Fluorocarbon creates intense friction when tightened down at the knot unless lubed.   Make sure you are not burning up your knots when you do tie them.

All of our pro staff that use our 20lb fluoro go through insane amounts of it, due to frequent re-ties.   The smaller diameter material is just that, smaller.  It can handle only so much abuse before it needs to be cut back in order to avoid a break off.

We can run 30lb for multiple seasons with rare cutbacks.   Either way...yes it does make a difference!   And it is not just the visibility properties of it, it is in fact the stiffness and abrasion resistance that makes it a more durable and action generating material for flies and spoons.  Fluorocarbon also has an unlimited life span, it will not degrade over time like a mono will.