trim on motor acting up

ok the other day i came in from fishing and i was parked in the yard and my gf said i left something on in the boat. i went out to look and found my motor was trimming up by its self. so i set it back to lock position. hour later was doing the same thing again. its a Yamaha 250 vx outboard. any help would be great. have a guy looking at it and he cant find anything wrong.

Yes JOE is right I had the same thing happen to me last year now I have a new problem with my trim this year

1990 40 hp mercury tiller

First my trim started a acting up and jus Beening slow going up and down. So last year I changed the fluid and it worked fine, but this year it started being slow again and when I looked at the fluid and it must be leaking because there's water mixed in, now the trim isn't working at all so I'm not sure if I have two problems

1 electrical

1 leak

Or if the leak has caused all the problems and now it's not working because of lack of pressure any tips would be appreciated

Yes JOE is right I had the same thing happen to me last year now I have a new problem with my trim this year

1990 40 hp mercury tiller

First my trim started a acting up and jus Beening slow going up and down. So last year I changed the fluid and it worked fine, but this year it started being slow again and when I looked at the fluid and it must be leaking because there's water mixed in, now the trim isn't working at all so I'm not sure if I have two problems

1 electrical

1 leak

Or if the leak has caused all the problems and now it's not working because of lack of pressure any tips would be appreciated

I had the same problem last year, mine wouldn't trim down on it's own, if someone pushed on the outdrive it would go down and work until you trimmed all the way up, then same thing. Then I noticed that on the one trim cylinder there was a flat washer and a O ring sliding around on the shaft, not all together like the other one, so I took it off and took it to the marina down the road from me and told him what is going on and he said that water is getting in the cylinder and causing unequal pressure causing resistance in the cylinder, since the wiper O ring and wiper clip was outside of the holder, the end cap was shot and that cost 2/3rds of a new cylinder, I got a new cylinder put it on bled the system and problem solved, sounds like you might have the same problem, he also said the packing inside the cylinder might be letting the fluid to bypass inside also creating a problem, not letting the cylinder to operate correctly, ether way I put a new one on and problem solved. Hope this helps PAP

Mine went this year too as well as the impeller....what ever happened to the old motors that you just got in the boat and drove only worrying about going into shallow water and shearing off a pin? :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Mine went this year too as well as the impeller....what ever happened to the old motors that you just got in the boat and drove only worrying about going into shallow water and shearing off a pin? :lol:

Yea, I hear ya, I guess those days are gone, the days when life was simple and the every day stuff you could fix your self are gone, with all the new and improved items they put on these boats fail way sooner than the old stuff, can't prove it better in my book (wallet) :sweating:

:)  Yeah I used to service my 1979 Johnson 35 myself but when I look inside this Optimax it looks like some alien planet :lol: