Autopilot Question:

I recently took a test ride on a 25 ft fishing boat for sale in the area. It has an older autopilot on it with a 2011 honda 9.9  kicker 4 stroke.

The autopilot works well enough when going with the waves or slightly traversing them, but when he tried to head dead into 2-2/2 footers, it would

not hold course. The question I have, is this normal or sould it function dead on into the waves as well??

Seems to me it should work into the waves as well but i'm not that familiar with them and dont know thier limitations.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and tight lines... DTL

Edited by Draggin The Line

Kuba is right. Waves have a big impact on the bow. That is probably why it functions well going with the waves, where they have less influence on boat direction. The fishermen typically fish with the waves when conditions are 2-21/2 footers. Not only is the ride much smoother, but you can hold course so much better. The drawback is that you have to pull all equipment to run back to refish an area or track. Give the motor enough throttle and the boat will track accurately on autopilot, but speed may be way off for fishing.

Thanks guys, makes sense, So I guees there's no issues with the way it preformed and that makes me feel more comfortable about the potential purchase of the boat.

Edited by Draggin The Line