Starcraft islander fans

There is an 191 Islander for sale in VT. Nice rig, 1997 I believe. Has a 130OB on it and has the BRKT. really nice to have the OB version of the islander with the BRKT

I just looked at craigslist VT, wanted to see the one Adk1 mentioned. I didn't see it on craigslist. There are a couple other Islanders for sale. They both look like nice rigs. You may wanna check them out.

Really? I was just on there. When u do the Craigslist search go to vt and the type in Starcraft islander there are three that come up I just checked again. Big money though

Edited by Adk1

I have a 1987 22.5 foot hardtop Islander.  I have fished Lake Ontario out of it for the past 2 years and love it.  I had a 19 foot Sea Nymph GLS prior to that.  No comparison.  The Islander is a much better boat, especially with the hardtop.  It  has a Mercruser 170 freshwater cooled engine with about 300 hours on it since being rebuilt.  It also has a Nissan 18 hp 4 stroke kicker.  Both engines are great on gas and it trailers like a dream.  Some people complain about the performane in rough water due to being aluminum and light weight but if you 200 lbs up front in the cuddy, they perform really well.  No, they are not as smooth a fiberglass but they are a lot more economical to run and easy to tow.  I just bought another one.  It is also a 1987 with a hardtop.  The only difference is it has the 4.3 Chevy in it.  I plan on working on it over the summer and hope to habve it ready for spring fishing.  I will be selling the one I am using now either this fall or next spring.

We have weight in the nose of our's also. 

What a difference in the sloppy stuff.

There is a 4th one listed in VT. Only posted a couple days ago. 1995 19 ft. with 3.0 Mercruiser. Has everything for Lake Ontario fishing. It's listed for $13,500. Beautiful looking rig, based on the pics. Had I not just bought mine, I would be calling the guy myself.

oh man I would never do that man. Would have every rodent in the area in my cabin!

I put each bag inside large plastic game bags that my buddy got somewhere. I really didn't think of rodents when I did it but I have had no rodent issues.  I don't think its very easy for a rodent to climb into an Islander.  Anyway, if a rodent issue arises, I will just switch to 4 bags of 50lb concrete mix. Now that you mention it, I might do the switch now to avoid any potential problems.  My friends chickens can eat the corn. 

There you go! I am thinking of the same thing. I have 150lbs of quickcrete mix that  I could do just what you are saying. Sounds like a good idea. will have to put it ahead of the "head" i.e. portapotty that I have in there for the wife.

I think I'd have bags of sandbox sand instead of concrete mix....ever gets water on it..... :doh:

We have bagged sand in ours, our you could use barbell plastic weights.

Little Crappie, The 22ft. Islander Hardtop your talking about in Mexico, I think I seen it in the water, I have one just like it, I love the thing and wouldn't even think about getting rid mine,  If you got a chance to buy a Hardtop Islander jump on it, It won't be forsale long,  Check the transom wood and floor, They are noted for taking a dump,   FISH-ON!

I seen two Hardtops near Mexico bay, One was seating outback of a house in a field, The other one was sitting tied up to a dock on Little Salmon river, Right side just as you go into Texas NY. Both identical to mine.That's to bad, Found this on Oodle marketplace. 89 22 ft. Hardtop Islander, Loaded, Galv. Trailer 4.3 motor   $5900. Tried finding a phone #  Has half of a cell #  It's located in Danville N.H  Google oodle marketplace boats, type in this boat and it will take you to it.  Good luck,   FISH-ON!

Edited by fish-on

Fish-on, I will agree about the floor rot. My 22 foot Islander has a soft spot in the floor on the right side. I noticed it last week while mounting downriggers. The previous owner had cut a small drain hole in the floor in the back toward the transom. Probably wasn't the smartest idea. It doesn't look too hard to repair (or at least I hope it isn't), I wish I had noticed it before I bought it. It is not too bad yet, but I wanna get her fixed before it turns into a real problem. Can't wait to take her out tomorrow, had her for 3 weeks, and still have not been out!  Any advice you have on the floor would be welcome. Thanks again for those lures you gave me, I past a few of them along to Dennis. Dave

Fish-on, I will agree about the floor rot. My 22 foot Islander has a soft spot in the floor on the right side. I noticed it last week while mounting downriggers. The previous owner had cut a small drain hole in the floor in the back toward the transom. Probably wasn't the smartest idea. It doesn't look too hard to repair (or at least I hope it isn't), I wish I had noticed it before I bought it. It is not too bad yet, but I wanna get her fixed before it turns into a real problem. Can't wait to take her out tomorrow, had her for 3 weeks, and still have not been out!  Any advice you have on the floor would be welcome. Thanks again for those lures you gave me, I past a few of them along to Dennis. Dave

The floor rot is very easily repaired. The real problem is below the floor. If there is flotation material (closed cell foam) then it usually is water logged and needs to be removed and replaced and that is a time consuming and unpleasant job. Not very hard, but tedious. And then you have to replace it in such a way that it does not become water logged again which is a bit tricky with pourable foam. Even though boats over 20 feet are not legally required  to have foam they very often have it anyway and it provides some structural support. Some people use the blue closed cell insulation boards which they buy at Lowes. That ends up to be a bit but not much cheaper and it gives less flotation simply because you cannot stuff it in as effectively as the poured material which gets into every nook and cranny.

Water soaked flotation material adds hundreds of pounds of water ballast and does not help you float your boat.

Edited by rolmops

rolmops, thanks for the advice. Hopefully this chore does balloon into a real pain in rear. If there is flatation material under the floar, is it easy to find from a marine store, or is it a specialty item?

Guys, I just did half the floor in mine, Cut one of my knuckles to the bone getting the old foam out, I bought the two part foam that you mix together to go back in( simple) Boat mechanic of mine said it was a structure issue so I should put it back in, Plus a sound deadener, Keep this in mind, Don't put the foam tight against the transom, I kept it back 8", So nothing is against  your transom so it doesn't rot,  Also take 1"pvc pipe and drill holes in it and lay it along side of the floor supports on the bottom of your boat that way if you do get water it will run to the back. Also the floor decking is butted tight against the transom too, Bad idea!!  I was lucky enough to buy 2 Diamond plate aluminum sheets 10 ft by 4ft so guess what's going in for my floor. Got one side in and it's awesome.  Lighter than plywood and will never rot.  Might have to paint it though, It's kind of bright.   I'll take pics when it's done, Should be within the next two weeks.   FISH-ON!

Edited by fish-on

Guys, I just did half the floor in mine, Cut one of my knuckles to the bone getting the old foam out, I bought the two part foam that you mix together to go back in( simple) Boat mechanic of mine said it was a structure issue so I should put it back in, Plus a sound deadener, Keep this in mind, Don't put the foam tight against the transom, I kept it back 8", So nothing is against  your transom so it doesn't rot,  Also take 1"pvc pipe and drill holes in it and lay it along side of the floor supports on the bottom of your boat that way if you do get water it will run to the back. Also the floor decking is butted tight against the transom too, Bad idea!!  I was lucky enough to buy 2 Diamond plate aluminum sheets 10 ft by 4ft so guess what's going in for my floor. Got one side in and it's awesome.  Lighter than plywood and will never rot.  Might have to paint it though, It's kind of bright.   I'll take pics when it's done, Should be within the next two weeks.   FISH-ON!

Should give you quite the tan when out in the full sun all day :lol:  :P   They have a colored rubber coating , like rinocoat you use in your pickup bed that might work.   You would want the marine foam to put back , its closed cell and fuel proof (sorta) where the lowe's stuff isn't.

Edited by Big Dave