Johnson. 150 1998 v6 help

RD9

Just took boat out have been out several times this year. Motor ran fin until I got above 2 rpm and then water pressure gage came on, mortor got too hot. Trolled four hours no problem. Went in got over teo rpm and pressure water gage drops. Got in clean intakes and reved engine up to four rpm and pressure was good. Any ideas? Thanks guys in advance.

How long has it been since the impeller was changed? Don't let the engine overheat....while getting mine fixed last week I saw one in the shop that blew because of the overheat.....it will be $6500 just for the parts for the guys boat....

Not since I bought it three years ago. Is the reason it only over heats when it is in gear is because its under load. Pretty happy it's most likely a impeller. Replaced all electrical components one year after I bought it, that got expensive fast.

Not since I bought it three years ago. Is the reason it only over heats when it is in gear is because its under load. Pretty happy it's most likely a impeller. Replaced all electrical components one year after I bought it, that got expensive fast.

Might of had crap covering the water intake ports, usually there are 3 screws holding the screen looking plate below the cavitation plate take them off make sure no black pieces of rubber aren't blocking the intake, witch also means the lower unit water pump is shot, not that bad of a job, like SK8man said most likely water pump is bad, don't run motor hot!! that will cost way more than a $50.00 water pump kit! :(