What to run on Dipsy Rod

So last year was my first year fishing and I managed to catch one fish on my dipsy rod.  I was running a spoon back 7 ft or so from the diver.  Early in the season I tried running a Spin Doctor/fly behind the diver but the whole thing seemed crazy.  I could just not comprehend that a fish would actually hit that setup.  I am wondering what others do?  Would the most common setup on a dipsy rod be fly/SD or anyone running spoons? Also is there anything that could be keeping me from getting hits on this?  I generally put out about 175' on the counter and am using Power Pro.

Thanks

A tomik flies, spoons or both with SDs. Make sure u use 30+ lb line and u have a flexible/long rod. You also should have an elastic/rubber piece with snaps on both ends between your rod's line and the dipsy(forgot what its called). It relieves stress on stuff when fish hit.

Small dipsys will take you to about 30-40ft depending on your trolling speed and length if line, big ones will do about 60-70. For big ones 40+ lb line would be recommended. Also make sure your rod mounts are solid, if they are not you will loose a part of your boat and yoyr equipment.

Hth

:)

Sent from my Lenovo P770 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Like Gambler  I run 50/50 spoons and flies.  I typically will run the spinnys/flies on the deep divers while the spoons are on the higher divers.  Try spooling up your dipsy with wire.( Malin  30lb 7 strand is a favorite of mine). It is a little heavier than power pro and will help your sink rate.   Kuba is right, make sure you have a good rod holder for the diver rods.  Anything metal is a plus  Look into either Berts Custom Tackle or Traxstech.  Both very good products. 

I run just like gambler with a four wire diver spread and two riggers. One side flasher fly high and spoon low, one side spoon high and flasher fly low. Let the fish tell u what's working. White with green dot spinny, Irish 6" Ito fly back 200 has done great the last two yrs for me.

I am generally pretty split between riggers and dipsy catch rate but I like to run spin dr. flies on both.  I will normally run more flies than spoons but I bought some new spoons to try.  I like spoons on riggers because it is less likely to tangle.

Edited by Chas0218

You are absolutely right sir, its hard to type/work at the same time ;)

The only thing I would add is try to put your divers in the strike zone where you are seeing fish on your graph.  If you put it at 175 every time you are really limiting your opportunities.  If you can find a Big Water Trolling book, grab it. It will help you with dipsy dive curves.  Or if you put on wire like suggested above you can get in the area by running the 3:1 (line out/depth) ratio.  I can't remember what the dive ratio is for braid, sorry.

You are absolutely right sir, its hard to type/work at the same time ;)

I type so I look like I am working....Shhhh

White and green dot  spinny with a Big Weenie seneca ghost fly or mountain dew spinny with a reel hooked up Big Weenie fly.  I thought the same thing...is a fish really gonna fall for this crap?   YES THEY DO!!!  I watch mature whitetail bucks fall for plastic decoys too...untill they get down wind of it!!!

Early in the season I tried running a Spin Doctor/fly behind the diver but the whole thing seemed crazy.  I could just not comprehend that a fish would actually hit that setup.  I am wondering what others do? 

I must admit that I chuckled a little bit when I read this. You remind me of my Uncle that I fish with. He seems to question the technique that a 1000 other fishermen are using successfully. Yet he too is new at the trolling game. This technique was not invented yesterday. 

My experience is that a flasher fly combo seems to work better when it is down deep and/or water is a little murky. My guess is that it is less successful when fished shallow in crystal clear water. I usually get many more hits on my diver rods than mu downrigger rods. That may be just me though...

70% of my hits come off the SD/fly combo.  Definitely will always have at least two of these in my spread.

I also use SD/MC Rocket combo.

Or dipsey straight to spoon with at least a 15 ft lead. 

Or dipsey  SD/ spoon.

As others have said, you need to know where the fish are, and set your dipsey in that range.  Precision Trolling's guide Edition II has some very good charts that tell you exactly how much line you need to let out to get to a target depth.

About 90% of my kings come on dipsy rods with a SD/Fly combo,  I do not use snubbers they are not needed as long as you have a strong leader to your flasher or spoon.  I use a 45lb seager flouro leaded and have never broke 1 off yet.  The first year I started out trolling I used the rubber snubbers and had major problems with them twisting and getting all tangled up.  Keep your leader from the diver to your flasher or spoon aprox. the length of your rod, makes it easier to net the fish.  I use 10' dipsy rods and my leader is 10'.  Good luck, lots of stuff to learn and many great people in here to help along the way.  You will definetly need to play with the depths though rather than just putting it out 175 feet. 

Edited by bluewater

I must be one of the minorities, I am split 50/50 dipsy to downrigger fish. Usually one day my downriggers are hot and another my dipsys.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I couldn't keep the cohos and steelies off my short coppers and riggers last time out. Divers didn't get touched. Usually the divers get more action, especially with kings. Fishing lake o is funny that way, each time out is new and different. Got three kings and some steelies on white/grn dot spinny on dipsey the time before, nothing on riggers and copper

70% of my hits come off the SD/fly combo.  Definitely will always have at least two of these in my spread.

I also use SD/MC Rocket combo.

Or dipsey straight to spoon with at least a 15 ft lead. 

Or dipsey  SD/ spoon.

As others have said, you need to know where the fish are, and set your dipsey in that range.  Precision Trolling's guide Edition II has some very good charts that tell you exactly how much line you need to let out to get to a target depth.

Mark,

I have been talking with Mike from MC Rockets quite a bit lately about how to run the rockets.  I have an order that is coming in today or tomorrow.  What is you favorite set up for them? Colors, etc...Do you run a clean 4 ft leader or a different length? Clean leader or do you run twinkies?

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis, good timing for this question.

Managed to get a nice hit off the MC rocket last night.

I have 3 ways of presenting the rocket.

- straight off a dipsey (least action)

- dispey, hot spot flasher, MC rocket (same action, but attractor with flasher. Flasher spins on axis so does not change native action of MC rocket.

- dipsey, S/D, MC rocket

Generally I keep the leader to the MC rocket around 4 feet.  To be honest I haven't tried them closer. I am concerned about imposing too much action on it from the S/D if it gets too close. The best action is the swirl created by bending the steel spine.

In terms of colors I have had almost all my hits on michael jackson (black on one side, white/glow on the other) and purple with white glow on the flip side.  I do carry orange, red and blue rockets.  I will be trying them out whenever I get a chance.

I do know right now that Blue and White are generally hot colors based on my own experience this past week, and from what I've been hearing from others.

Lastly, I sometimes put some harring bait scent along the side of the rocket. Not sure if it helps any, but if the bite is quiet, I start experimenting.

I must be one of the minorities, I am split 50/50 dipsy to downrigger fish. Usually one day my downriggers are hot and another my dipsys.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mike, just like King Slammin says and you elude to. Sometimes the bite is off the dipseys and its good to have the copper on boards, or the riggers.  Riggers are especially crucial when the bite is really deep, I'd say over 100 ft. You will have a hard time catching fish on anything else.  So, if you have room on your boat for riggers and copper, I'd definitely include them in the setup. Just that over a summer, I do hear that many people get more hits on average on the dipseys - so that's a setup that you don't leave home without!