Go Pro cameras on Downriggers

Search "trollpro", they offer one. Only thing is its huge, looks like a piece of 4" PVC, and costs more than my camera did with the underwater housing. FishHawk or some company like that had been promising one for some time but I still don't think it's out.

I'll be posting a thread on the Contour Roam camera I just picked up. I didn't see any viable options for the downrigger mount for that either so I'm making my own. I just started the housing last night. It's sheet aluminum and stainless.

I use the trollpro, it works pretty well but is pretty big.  You could mount the go pro to the down rigger with wire cable, I just don't know how you would keep it from spinning and make sure it points in the correct direction.  That being said, it's a horrendous time suck filming under water.  The lure needs to be within 2ft of the camera to see it.  Then you need to sift through hours of footage to find the few fish that show up.  Overall, it's neat, but not worth the time.

Nick

Skippers - that is some awesome footage! I like your set-up for the Go-Pro, too. I bought one of the housings from Nemesis and it looks well made. It's amazing how the fish will continue to follow the bait and zig-zag in and out until they hit.

Your video makes me want to drop it down for a test.

Thanks again for sharing - totally awesome!

Chris

Just make sure you secure it tightly!  Also the batteries don't seems to last as long underwater for some reason... I thought they would have last longer in the colde water.  And be sure to turn your volume down before playing the videos, as the sound is pretty loud on mine when it's under water.

• 3 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents but really no need for a housing, I went to the hardware store and bought a stainless 10-32 a couple of washers and a nylon jam nut. Then took a grinder to the back eye of down rigger ball and flattened it out just enough to slide the housing of the Go Pro over it. It works perfect and I've only got $3.75 invested in it. On a side note........ Still haven't found a software program I like to cut and paste my footage, what are you guys using ????

Great footage. It leaves me wondering if trolling speeds should be slower or leads to fly should be adjusted to slow it down. Looks as though they have a hard time actually nailing the fly

Edited by Sk8man

Just my 2 cents but really no need for a housing, I went to the hardware store and bought a stainless 10-32 a couple of washers and a nylon jam nut. Then took a grinder to the back eye of down rigger ball and flattened it out just enough to slide the housing of the Go Pro over it. It works perfect and I've only got $3.75 invested in it. On a side note........ Still haven't found a software program I like to cut and paste my footage, what are you guys using ????

I find cutting/pasting Gopro footage equally a pain on my Pc. Here's what I do:

1.) Cineform studio to load the clips from the SD card on the camera into the Cineform program (I'm not actually loading ALL the footage onto my PC, only into the Cineform program to cut and paste)

2.) I will cut and paste the segments of the Gopro footage using the In/Out features on Cineform. the clip goes from the left side of the screen to the right side of the screen on Cineform.

3.) The clips on the right side are then "converted" to Avi format, saved to hard drive, but then I have to Export them again to an MP4 format so that they can be recognized by Windows Movie Maker. After the clips are converted back to MP$, i will delete the Avi clips whic are huge files

I'm used to this process now so it's not that bad, but it's free so I can't complain that much,

Chris