Trolling Flies debate

Not haveing the experience of all the types of methods and I couldn't seem to answer the question to a friend of mine

that when I was setting up a Howie Fly to use for trolling I was leaving the treble hook about three inchs back of the fly itself

and installing four beads before the treble, seems I saw a picture of that some where. I have some Atommick flys where the rig is set with the treble mixed in the fly it self with no beads.I can not find any instructions online so thought I would throw it out there what is right and what is wrong, Got to catch them fish. All replys apprciated

The bottom of the treble should not extend past the end of the fly skirt. i.e. when you lay it flat you shouldnt see the hook much. the beads are used between the hook and the top of the fly where your line goes through to keep the hook in place at the bottom of the skirt

There are several sets you can use. One is the single 4 bead howie rig which for us it old school. Then Atommik came out with a tourament rig with a trebble hook beads and a single hook. Your hook sizes may vary. I use a #2 st-41 owner trebble and a 4/0 gamagatsiu octopus single in red. I use a 23 inch lead of 50# seaguar flourocarbon at 23 inches from the nose of tge fly to your leader loop or flasher. Bead configuration will vary depending on bead size like 6, 8, 10 & 12 mm. I use 2-3 beads below my single hook and one bead above I call a head bead. You can also put a bead on the nose of thecfky calledca mose bead. Colors and size beadscwill change with fly color and season. Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

They all work. I currently have A-Tom-Miks, Howies, Big Weenies, ITO's, Dreamweaver Action Flies and Siggs Riggs flies on the boat and they all catch fish.

As far as colors, If I had to limit myself to 4 colors of flies that will cover all water and light conditions, they would be Green Crinkle, Hammer, White Glow and Mirage.  Others certainly work, but those 4 will always keep you in the game.

Tim

They all work. I currently have A-Tom-Miks, Howies, Big Weenies, ITO's, Dreamweaver Action Flies and Siggs Riggs flies on the boat and they all catch fish.

As far as colors, If I had to limit myself to 4 colors of flies that will cover all water and light conditions, they would be Green Crinkle, Hammer, White Glow and Mirage.  Others certainly work, but those 4 will always keep you in the game.

Tim

One of the best posts ever - buy these four patterns and you're in great shape.

Good luck on the water,

Chris

• 7 years later...
On 6/27/2013 at 9:56 AM, Iron Duke said:

Big Weenie Seneca Ghost , Reel hooked up, Filthy Frankie and Iron Duke Flys won't let ya down but pair them with a similar colored spinny or flasher is key....

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You can't go wrong listening to this guy.......especially that "Reel Hooked Up Fly" behind a "glow frog racer" Spin Doctor

Marty

• 1 month later...

Tim
I second those flies, they have always been my top 4 colors. They always catch fish.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app