thinking about trying Lake Erie tomorrow

MeanMachine

Thinking of making the drive to Dunkirk and give it a shot. Never fished for eyes out of Erie. Any tips on depths or tips in general? Planning to run plugs on riggers, 150 copper with church boards and dipsys. I appreciate any help! Thanks!

I'd suggest driving an extra ten miles or so on the thruway to the Westfield exit and launching out of Barcelona Harbor. Much better launch and tons of parking. Only drawback is the lack of a fish cleaning station. As for the fishing tactics.. I haven't made it out there yet, but I'd skip the riggers and go with boards and dipsies. We generally start in 60 or 70 feet and work out to about 90.. watching for schools of baitfish as we go. If you find baitfish.. run just above them. Our main offerings are harnesses and Renowski's. Don't be afraid to keep some stuff up high. We've had many days out there when nothing below 30 feet would produce. You may find fish in shallower, but you'll also find lots of trashfish there as well. Good Luck, Sluggo (Chris)

Edited by Sluggo / NY

I fished Tuesday night off the North gap and did squat along with 5 other boats circling same area. However my buddy went today and got 4. He said the water was real real muddy and wasn't sure how the weekend was going to pan out with all this rain. Amazing how the water temp went from last week 53 to 63 this week.

Barcelona the water is cold from all the rain out to 70ft, fish are spotty out in 110 ft down 30ft.There were some good catches going east to Brockton Shoal trench.Stickbaits were producing better then meat.Barcelona Launch parking lot is full at least 70 boats out.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Today there were not a lot of eyes caught out of Bacelona Harbor.One boat caught 11 walleye to 9.1 lbs flatlineing Renolsky's upper 10 ft of water over 60 ft of water, water temp 56 degrees, down 15 ft water temp was 50 degrees.A 11 lb Walleye was caught out over 120 ft of water.Most boats had 1 eye or none!

Edited by mostlymuskies

We will go out of Barcelona Harbor this morning. Starting in 60 ft of water or go out toward 120 ft until we find 56 degree surface water temp with bait fish pods & eyes.We will start with 1/2 the setups up in the upper 10 ft with Renoskys, 1/4 around 25 ft with worm harnesses and 1/4 off bottom with lake trout spoons.I will report later how our 8 hour day went.

Go figure I had a charter today and clients caught a 11lb 2 ounce Walleye, 9 lb & 8 lb and were not in the Southtowns Tourney! They also caught 6 lake trout & a big brown trout.Dropped another big walleye that was all as big as the 11 lber just out of net reach.125 ft of water out off Brochton Shoal, 3 colors of leadcore.I'll post pix tomarrow when I get home.

They are still catching bigger eyes east of Barcelona today off Brochton Shoal in 125 to 130 ft of water.Two just over 10 lbs caught early this morning.Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by mostlymuskies

Only about 16 boats out today from Barcelona Harbor.Turns out the boat earlier this morning that caught the two 10 lbers caught 9 walleye total, but he was not in the Tourney either.I never got a weigh station report because I returned to Buffalo at noon.I will not have more walleye reports until Thursday our next day out!

John, go to the trench around the point and the drop off Brochton Shoal.But they might be gone after Thursdays 25 mph NW winds, will bring cool water fron Canadian side again.Was at 62 degrees surface water temp.

Three 29 inch walleyes today along with a 28 & a 27 pincher. Stick baits and harnesses on 4color leadcore and inline boards along with sixty foot dipseys. Started at 70 foot and out to 85 foot. Back into 60 foot off Silver Creek. Reef Runners and Renoskys were good.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We have been fishing the same area of off Myers and been doing very well on small fish. Got out Sat,Sun, and Wed. Did 12,7,11 but none over 3 lbs besides a couple of 6lb'ers.

I keep the boat at Chadwick so it may be time to dump her in the water down there for the year. Not sure if I will go to east of Dunkirk or down the lake on Sat (tward Barcelona)...

We have caught most of the fish on harness's in 28 to 40 ft. Great eaters and tons of fish there. Also tons of bass and even caught a Channel Cat on a 4 color lead.....

Good Luck out there...

If your out on Sat give me a shout on the radio.

• 2 weeks later...