Just goes to show/Sandy 6/10

I knew the weather was going to go south today, but according to weather underground, winds were from the south east, and weren't going to really build until late morning.

According to the NDBC buoy, when I left the house this morning, waves were still under 1 foot.  Figured I could sneak a few hours in before having to pack up.

Got to Sandy, and guess what?  Winds from the North east, and although no whitecaps at the time...big rollers.   Since I was there, decided to give it a shot. 

Made it out to 50' of water before deciding it just wasn't happening.

Came back in and tried the mud line just because I was there....no luck.   Came home, and still, the Ontario buoy showing waves 1'.   Weather underground showing wind STILL

from the SE.  

Lesson on conditions not being what they are supposed to be learned.

Boat was a champ.  Rode things out nicely.   However, think I found my limit as to wave size!

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/emanonpettis/media/100_0804.mp4.html

You have to look at the time the last data was taken from.  If you check too early in the morning, sometimes the buoy data has not been updated.  Usually the buoy data gives the most accurate info up-to-date.  I don't trust forecasters when it comes to wave height.

I knew the weather was going to go south today, but according to weather underground, winds were from the south east, and weren't going to really build until late morning.

According to the NDBC buoy, when I left the house this morning, waves were still under 1 foot.  Figured I could sneak a few hours in before having to pack up.

Got to Sandy, and guess what?  Winds from the North east, and although no whitecaps at the time...big rollers.   Since I was there, decided to give it a shot. 

Made it out to 50' of water before deciding it just wasn't happening.

Came back in and tried the mud line just because I was there....no luck.   Came home, and still, the Ontario buoy showing waves 1'.   Weather underground showing wind STILL

from the SE.  

Lesson on conditions not being what they are supposed to be learned.

Boat was a champ.  Rode things out nicely.   However, think I found my limit as to wave size!

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/emanonpettis/media/100_0804.mp4.html

Well your day sounds a little like mine.  Had a guy come up from Springwater to fish because all indications were that this morning the lake should look like last night, for a few hours anyway. Wrong! went 0 for 0 fished out to 120 and back to 50. marked some bait and a few streakers. No takers. It was a quick trip.