Elite 7 crapped out on me, but Lowrance wants to make good?

My Elite 7 crapped out on me and Cabelas wants to make good on the unit, I really like the elite 7, I purchased the HDI, but I really don't see a need for the DSI. I really didn't get a chance to use it much, before it just wouldn't power up, then when not in use it would power up on it's own, leaving me with dead batteries, if I didn't turn battery selector to off, which I should do all the time, (lesson learned) but wouldn't have found the power up on it's own malfunction, anyway I think I'm going to just get the base unit with the 83/200, which is cheaper, I read the other posts and it seems like others aren't liking the dsi either, I fish for walleyes and mostly out on the big O for lakers and salmon. I'm Looking for other opinion on the dsi mode Yes or NO I have to make a decision soon, so NEED some HELP!!!! Thanks pap.

I have looked into them. My research has told me to stick with the base unit. I am looking into them and will get the standard GPS//Finder unit.

I have looked into them. My research has told me to stick with the base unit. I am looking into them and will get the standard GPS//Finder unit.

Thanks Adk1, I think that's what I'm going to do, I really didn't see a need for the dsi, I'm from the old school and this unit is such an improvement from my old unit which was a Humming Bird 727 about 10 years old, I was blown away with the Elite 7, the screen was so much bigger and a lot clearer, being able to split screens just amazing, can't wait to bolt the new one in and go fishing!!PAP.

Yeah, my Islander came with a very old Eagle unit. has to be early 90's. Still works but the off button no longer works so I have to unplug it from the back each time. Resolution sucks. I am thinking about mounting it in the stern though someplace since it is all wired and using it back there just to show depth for whoever is working the riggers once I can afford to get my new Elite 7

I got the Elite 5 with the navigation and loved it with out the DSI.  Then came the Elite 7, damn, why couldnt I of waited, anyhoo, its on the way, xtreme navigation had it for 541.00  The 83/200 khz, model without the HDI transducer which is the same as my Elite 5, Cant beat that. 

FYI,  My frist Elite 7 HDI  shut off by itself, then have to do a hard reset & reprogram.  Another one would not lock on to a satilite for GPS.  I am now on my forth one!  I am glad I took out the extended warranty!  I talked with an eletronics wizard/ computer expert & he thinks they have a soft ware problem.    Will be trying the newest one for the frist time tomorrow AM.

hmmm now im really reconsidering. really like the elite7 but with all these power probs im once again unsure what to get

I didn't get my new one yet to say if there are any glitzes with it but, there are always 1 or 2 sour apples in the bag and if you are the one with a sour apple it can be very frustrating, I know from this very experience. I have an uncle that can't seem to purchase a depth finder that works for more than a year to save his sole, I used to think he's got to be doing something to cause all these failures so I wired his finder up and put a battery selector switch in so he could put it in the off position to charge is batteries up (thinking voltage spikes) and ran separate grounds and power wire with a fused line (thinking low voltage) and just the other day he called from the lake and said the one I gave him Humming Bird 727 had low hours on it, half the screen went grey, he turned it off and repowered it and it's working but for how long? I know in his hands the unit is on borrowed time, so what I'm trying to say is you are not alone, and when you spend a lot of money you expect the unit to work. I can tell you that this is the most $$$$ I ever spent in my life for a depth finder and by all means it is not the top of the line, but those units are out of my league, maybe if I hit the lottery or when I retire. The Elite 7 is what I consider a top notch unit, and the best bang for your buck. I hope that all you folks with these units work out the bugs and have many years of trouble free operation.

Agree Pap, I have to put my best interest in the fact that Lowrance has been a steady edy over the past years, Ive been with them since the x-16 paper to the LMS days, always backed me whenever I had a question.  I do understand when you get something that doesnt work how frustrating it gets, been there done that. 

I'm only 2 trips in with my elite 7hdi but so far so good( probably just jinxed myself). Fished walleyes wednesday night(40fow)and the 3 panel screen with the reg sonar and dsi side by side was great. Seemed like I could count the number of alewives I was marking on the dsi, whereas on the traditional screen it was just a colorful blob.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Cool, got mine today and have the elite 5 out. 7 should go in Sunday. Just realized other than getting a tooth drilled, putting in another finder with wiring is just as bad.

Try installing 4 in a row , thats like having all your teeth pulled at once!  lol.   Anyway my newest "7" worked great all day,today they are nice when they work.  With any luck it will keep working.  I always had Lowrance too starting with the paper graph & just replaced my LMS 350 A with this elite 7.  Fingers crossed!

I havent had any issues yet with mine but Ive only used it a few times. So far I really like the ease of use and the detail in both the sonar and downscan. When turning it on it does take a few seconds to power up, but other than that I have no complaints with the unit.

I'm considering buying the Elite-7 HDI and not sure what transducer to go with as the choices are either the 83/200 or 50/200. The main use of course would be trolling all depths of Lake O and I want to be sure it will mark\track my rigger balls while trolling. Also would the downscan imaging even be worth using over deep water watching the upper 200 fow? Any input would be appreciated Thanks!

Edited by Speed