Best releases?

Chamberlains!!!!!  This release has 2 diff tensions you can adjust, they are worth the few extras pennies IMHO. I run them from splash down till pull out. I can have my rod tips almost touching the water and have a stockie bt release it. Good Luck.

Capt. Rich

• Like 1

Black releases I've used them successfully for many years and they are very reasonably priced as well (about $10-12)

Ok- I'll be the odd one... Scotty PowerGrip Plus. Fished with the Blacks and like them, but like these better.

I buy the stackers so I get two releases cheaper, then give each one a 24" wire lead and a swivel. Set the line as deep in the release as I want and still see all the shakers at the rod tip because of the wire lead.

Edited by Meals-On-Reels

scottys are the only way too go even blacks are a pain theres no having to adjust scottys tension is determined on how far you bury the line in the release and you dont have to put any twist in the line.

I'm using Scotty power grip now because I was sick of pulling skippers. I loved the blacks until I was pulling around 5 pound lakers without knowing. Saying that I must have a bad blacks release because I know I shouldn't be able to tow around 5 pound lakers without knowing!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app....Doug

We use blacks. Most people who fish with us say we have them tighter than they need to be, and that our rods are bent over more than they need to be. We run 15lb A-TOM-MIK Torpedos, and there aren't many times we pull up a skipper not knowing he was on there. Usually you can tell if your paying attention to your rods something is going on. 

As for Brown Trout....we go to 8lb balls in the Spring and keep the releases tight. When they hit you can see them pull the ball back. The 8lb balls also give your spoon more action when there is a little chop.

The Blacks are easy to adjust, and don't wear out like pinch pad releases will over time.

Yankee Troller is dead on the mark. I've tried most if not all conventional releases over the years as well as some home made ones and I always go back to the Black's for all the reasons Rich mentioned. They have a great range of tension settings...I use them on the outriggers as well as downriggers abd even have a set specially rigged to be used on other people's boats if I'm fishing with them (and they don't mind)

Edited by Sk8man

Chamberlain releases - better than blacks in my opinion. But for pure simplicity walker bullet and throw the directions away. Just tighten it down fairly tight, make a loop in your line and pull it up into the bullet. Used this way there is no faster or easier release to rig and it works great

• Like 1

Chamberlain are by far the best. Blacks work great but the chamberlain can be adjusted to hold the rod on the release until the pole breaks but release for weeds on your lure. No question they have the most adjustment. They use a magnet to adjust tension To the lure and screw tension to the rod.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1