Best releases?

Blacks for kings,  Chamberlains for smaller sized fish like spring browns to cape cod trout. The chamberlains are great for loading the rod but being able to trip with the smaller fish but I want a harder hook set for kings especially later in the year when their mouths get hard.

Good luck and tight lines

and even have a set specially rigged to be used on other people's boats...

Wow- you really like those Blacks.

I guess I'm just more accustomed to the pinch pad style, having started with the old "offshore" releases years ago. The Scotty's don't wear or fall apart like those old ones. That, and I want there to be some decent resistance to aid somewhat in a hook-set, not have shakers trip them but still be able to see them.

To each their own but it's interesting to see there's basically 2-3 that people strongly seem to prefer.

I had some private messages about the Walker releases asking for clarifications on my explanation so I will try to make it more clear. I'm talking about the Walker adjustable LR release which looks like a black shell casing with a white bullet on the front. Hence the common name Walker bullet release.

INSTALLING THE RELEASE:

1) Connect it so the adjustment knob is pointing up slightly when facing the bow of the boat. This will place the end where the line attached at the back and slightly downward. Follow the directions on the packaging for this step only. DO NOT follow the directions any further.

ADJUSTING THE RELEASE:

2) Tighten the white knob very tight, almost to the point that the cone-shaped release pin is fully seated and the knob becomes difficult to turn further.

USING THE RELEASE:

3) DO NOT wrap the line over itself (twist) several times making a loop like you do with the Blacks or Chamberlains. Simply make a "horseshoe shaped" loop in your line - no twisting at all.

4) Place the loop around the black casing with the loop on the underside and slide it up into the slit between the case and the cone-shaped pin in the back while pulling up on the loop. You should now have line on one side of the release going up to your rod and on the other side the line should be trailing behind to your lure.

Once installed and adjusted steps 3+4 take just a second or two to do. There's no twisting line over itself. No wire lever arms to place a loop over and close. And it's virtually impossible to foul rig this in rough water. Adjusted and rigged this way, the Walker will bury the hook deep into any salmon's mouth that swims.

Walker's instructions, if followed, turn a wonderful product into a real dud. If you have one laying around that you stopped using, dig it out and give my method a try. I think you'll reconsider the walker for your primary ball release.

I use both Chamberlains and Walkers for ball releases, chamberlains earlier on with smaller fish and switch to Walkers once the matures start to stage.

Edited by John E Powell

I guess when the dust settles the best release is the one that works best for you and what you get used to :lol:  I think we now have a flavor for the most popular releases though and that sorts through a lot of different ones on the market

Think I have tried every release on the market to date. But when it comes to fishing deep ( 150' ) below, can't beat the Blacks.  I for one hate to stack rods on the same rigger, There is just to many ways to get lines to depth and away from the boat today than thirty years ago. 

TIP: For those of you who fish from friend's boats and would rather use your own release set up....

I've used this setup for over 20 years and it works great.  The release is the OUTRIGGER version of the Black and I then use a very large (and strong) split ring and then a large salt water coast lock swivel (again very strong one) and I put the coast lock on the split ring and then put it on the release at the bottom and then SOLDER the split ring.

You can then just clip this rig on the existing swivel of the downrigger and then attach their weight to the swivel on your Black release.

post-145411-0-49578100-1371145356_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Cool..... I didn't realize anyone made them.. so like most things ...I made them myself when I couldn't find what I needed.  I first used mine on salt water years ago.

• 8 months later...

Modified Scottys.  I put a piece of hard tubing in the back of the scotty.  1in hot water line works the best.  When I was in British Columbia that was the only way the locals would have a release setup.  Those guys fish down to 275 ft on there riggers.  I will see if i can take a picture of what my setup looks like.  Real good gripping power and zero line damage, no twisting just a clean setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Modified Scottys. I put a piece of hard tubing in the back of the scotty. 1in hot water line works the best. When I was in British Columbia that was the only way the locals would have a release setup. Those guys fish down to 275 ft on there riggers. I will see if i can take a picture of what my setup looks like. Real good gripping power and zero line damage, no twisting just a clean setup.

Interested in the setup - please post a pic if you find one

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United