Best releases?

I've tried blacks, walkers, alligator clamps, they al work ok...

3 years ago I tried a Chamberlin release...I will never leave a dock without one or 8 of them

2 adjustable areas, 1 for upward tension and 1 for strike tension.

Both fully adjustable from <1 lb to 10 lbs. now they even make a stacker release for running doubles.

Check out there YouTube videos when u get a chance...truly amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Scottys hands down. Blacks will leave a curly feeling on your line that weakens over time. You can tell where you are putting your line in the release everytime, no doubt. Scotty power grips are bar none the best release out there. No residue on your line, and adjustments from very light to very tight. They also have a small piece of mono attached to them that allows you to see a small wiggly on your bait.

I was a Roemer guy all the way also, then I tried Chamberlains, well the rest is history. Sold all my Roemers and now have nothing but chamberlains for the riggers. Give them a try, once dialed in, they are the best. IMHO. Good Luck

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I use the canon pinch pad releases. They are ok for walleye however I am not fond of them for fishing lake o. Was looking into the blacks however now looking at the videos on the chamberlains, they sound really nice.

I started out in the late 80's with Roemer releases.....I did OK but had troubles with them hanging up or getting tangled and not releasing and gave them up.

then got comfortable with the offshore pinch pads till last year when the faster Lake-O trolling was hard to keep them on without setting them off accidently

Now I have new chamberlains to try out this weekend :)

Edited by Willy-C

I started out in the late 80's with Roemer releases.....I did OK but had troubles with them hanging up or getting tangled and not releasing and gave them up.

then got comfortable with the offshore pinch pads till last year when the faster Lake-O trolling was hard to keep them on without setting them off accidently

Now I have new chamberlains to try out this weekend :)

Nice WillyC Let me know how you like them. I am leaning toward those at the moment

• 3 weeks later...

I have used a lot of different release on my dads and grandfathers boats over the past years. I then bought a boat with riggers that had blacks on them and they are awesome.

I use blacks on the downriggers and outriggers both. I learned that if I set the tension with a simple digital scale I can eliminate about all my problems. If I am fishing in a area that I think I will encounter some shakers, I'll use rubber bands with the Blacks, no question of what is going on down there.  The rubber bands also work great with the Blacks for walleyes.

I have the Blacks at the bottom and for fixed sliders, just jam a tooth pick in at desired depth, I set them at 3#s works sweet for me, and for walleye I use a half hitch to the Blacks, and also my cores, that way I can spool a full 10 colors on a reel and use a half hitch at what ever amount of lead core I want. Eliminates having a half dozen rods for just lead cores. Wise man taught me that trick LOL.

• 9 months later...

I was a Roemer guy all the way also, then I tried Chamberlains, well the rest is history. Sold all my Roemers and now have nothing but chamberlains for the riggers. Give them a try, once dialed in, they are the best. IMHO. Good Luck

Capt Rich

I have been a Black's guy, and have really liked them over any pinch style release, but after reading your posts about the dual tension controls on the Chamberlains', I have decided to order some and try them next season.  I fish the MO river for Kings out here in South Dakota, and I am constantly towing walleyes around, and never knowing they are on: all the way up to 29 inchers.  It would be nice to be able to crank the rods all the way over, and still have a walleye be able to trip the release.  I have a couple of them now, and they seem like they are going to work out awesome.  They look just like a fancier version of a Blacks, with a horizontal tension knob, plus the vertical tension knob.  They ought to work great for Lake Michigan Browns this spring as well!!  Thanks for the tip, Captain Rich!!! :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :)

Edited by John Kelley

Glad I could help John, enjoy those Chamberlains, hopefully we will be able to hit open water soon!!!

Capt Rich

Maybe you guys out there, but we are frozen in pretty solid out here on the prairie.  Still have a couple months of ice fishing ahead of me!!  :)  :)

• 5 months later...

I like the Scotty Power Grips. They are just soooo easy to use. Uncomplicated design with minimal parts that could come loose or break. I use Scotty releases and stackers. I can have my rod tips almost digging in the water without them popping if I want. Really lets me see lite hitting walleye bites. I never get a fish on without seeing the bite.