I've used small dipsys on outriggers for about 25 or 30 years with Black outrigger releases. You have to experiment with the tension a bit between the outriggers and the dipseys so they each  release properly but they work pretty well especially in shallow say 20ft of water or so in the Spring and Fall. I also use them out very deep (middle of Finger Lakes) when the rainbows are out over deep water but not down very far (e.g. feeding on flies on surface etc.). I have tried medium sized dipseys but they generate a little too much torque (for me at least)  to be effective and are better run on wire. I often run the small dipseys at near the max 3 setting to left and right to get them as far away from the boat as possible....if i want them to go a bit deeper I use the zero setting on each and the separation still works well from my other stuff. but....I use them on mono not wire....the wire is best used without releases in my arsenal at least. Even the rubber band approach led to slight wire kinking for me when I tried it out....but Spike is right an Aftco roller release (used mainly in saltwater) could do it without kinking.

Edited by Sk8man

Some of the Sandy Creek guys do it. They say it works, and spreads out their 4 divers. I don't see a need for it, but that's just me. 

I with you that is why you have different settings on the diver.

This past weekend I would have had outriggers going under water in my turns.

Edited by Chas0218

• 4 weeks later...

I run both small and medium divers on the outriggers. Not wire though. I have fireline fused original braid on two of my diver rods for the blacks releases. Fleas don't cling to the fireline any worse than wire in my experience. No worries about kinks or using rubber bands.

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mark makes good points. I forgot to mention that I occasionally run my braid off it too but normally I run the braid off a TX44 board

How about braid off a board off an outrigger? Light on the foam, please  :lol:

I've fished with one of those Sandy Creek guys who runs a big Dipsy off an outrigger. It's actually pretty sweet with a four diver spread. And when it rips, it'll make you take notice....it's like a cannon going off.

How about braid off a board off an outrigger? Light on the foam, please :lol:

I've fished with one of those Sandy Creek guys who runs a big Dipsy off an outrigger. It's actually pretty sweet with a four diver spread. And when it rips, it'll make you take notice....it's like a cannon going off.

Ahhhh yes, the TWANG! and subsequent jump off the boat reaction!...yes very sweet! Absolute right Gator.

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by skipper19