any culturated people out there ?

now i gots a bigger problem with the wife .she wants to take a vacation in the Keys so i told her to have a good time. now she expects me to go along , the same week as the losta sale thing in lockport.. so if im gonna be handed lemons i might as well make lemonade,were going to the OHIO key which is just so. of 7 mile bridge ,also near marathion if anyone knows a good charter there or has had good experiance there please post a name. i want to go offshore for some big stuff. thanks Ray K. ......i did schedual return trip for the 23rd so if we dont have any traveling glitches i still might make the sale there still might be hope ill be the guy with the sunburn and no tan lines :shock:

I went years ago, dont rule out some baracude fishin it is insane. Its like a gaint pike on crack and steriods. Got a charter on a small 17 footer with myself the wife and the guide, it was great day of fishing. Sorry I cant remeber the charters name but he was right in Key West.

... and don't pass the 7 mile bridge without stopping at the 7 Mile Grlle (N. side) for the best key lime pie in the world, period! Also supposed to be great tarpon fishing at night under the bridge.

Ray.....we have been going to the Florida Keys every winter now for the past 4 years or so. We may miss this year though if work doesn't pick up. I've stayed at various points through the chain. I've stayed at Crystal Bay Resort in Marathon (mm52), which I guess is the Island before Ohio....then 7 mile bridge.

There are a TON of charters & party boats. My favorite fishing area for deep sea would by Islamorada key(m82), Proclaimed to be the sport fishing

capital of the world). You will pass through Islamorada on your way down to Marathon. Everything goes by mile marker. Key Largo being the start of the Keys around mm100, and ending at Key West at mm0. Don't miss Key West!!!

Bridge fishing is fun& free,but you'll mostly catch small fish. Going deep this time of year beyond the reef will mostly be for sailfish. Summer is the better time down there for big game, but there ain't no such thing as a bad time of year to fish the Keys ;)

Reef fishing is a blast too! You can take a party boat for about 50 bucks, or rent a boat. I'd suggest going on a bigger boat, as the Atlantic will be rough most days this time of year. The gulf is normally glass. One or the other is usually going to be fishable.

We've rented a boat already and fished the gulf side and had a blast!! It's easy and the Mackerel are there in big numbers.....real line burners on med. tackle.

The best advise I can give you on fishing is USE LIVE SHRIMP and get a chum bag and several 10 lb boxes of frozen chum at the local bait store. No matter where you fish....the chum bill bring the fish to you!!

I could talk about the Keys for hours. It's my favorite place to go. If you want more info, PM me with any questions and I'll tell ya what I know.

Rod,

I am going down to Marathon the first week of April. We are going to bring the RV, so I have to leave the boat home.Do you know of a place to rent a boat without going broke? The lowest price I have found is Captain Pip's. Looks I can get a 19' for around $125.00 a day.

Thanks

Rick

Rick.....I can't recall what the boat cost, but I'll ask the wife when she gets home if we have the guy's number handy? He came highly recommended by the resort we stayed at our first year, and he's been great. He's in the Marathon area, and will drop the boat off to you wherever your staying and tie it up to the dock! At the end of the day, he will be there to pick it up. Boat rental down there isn't cheap, but it's sure fun!! 19 ft may be OK for you, but I'd go to the next size up if you can swing it. 19 ft. may be OK for the gulf side, but you can't shoot out to the Atlantic reef with it and feel safe. ALL the snorkeling is on the ocean side about 2 miles offshore, so if that is the plan, go to a 21ft or so. We rented a 21ft Mako center console with a 200 Yamaha and it was perfect.

We go fishing for a few hours....then go out to the reef snorkeling. It's a great day!!

Pips is at the Marina just before you cross 7 mile. There is an outside barbecue joint there called Porky's, and we visit it every time we are down there. Besides awesome barbecue, they serve a fried key lime pie that is sinful!!! You can feed the tarpon while your eating dinner.

Hey Hank.....there's no Tarpon down there.....hehehe

Pq557WSJ.jpg

aVE3Vh9.jpg

A few pictures of my son Justin's fish in the Key's

Pq559VAS.jpg

Pq55bdUA.jpg

aVE6hWJ.jpg

aVE72kr.jpg

"Hanging Out" In The Keys

aVE6TlS.jpg

Hi Rick...

The wife doesn't know where the number is, but It's easy enough to get. Call crystal Bay Resort @ 1-888-289-8089 or email them through their website @ www.crystalbayresort.com and simply ask them who they recommend for rental boats.

Where are you keeping the RV Rick? We will be taking the RV down next time we go, but I've yet to stay at any RV park down there so I'd be interested in where your going.

Rod,

I would like to stay at Knight's key campground. They have a dock for the boat at your site. But the place was sold three years ago and they dont know when the place will be shutt down. The new owner is going to put up condos. Looks like they might stay open because of real estate sales are poor now.

I will let you know about campgrounds when I get back.

Thanks for the info on the boat, I will give them a call.

Thanks

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rick,

You ever find out any more about the boat rental? We have decided to go to the Keys this winter after all. We are going the last week of Feb and the first week of March.

We decided to take the RV and we are pulling the small boat down this time. I figured it would be cheaper to rent a car than a boat, and I can sneak out every morning fishing before the family gets up ;)

I looked into Knights, but decided to make reservations at the Fiesta Key KOA on long key (between Islamorada and Marathon). They have dockage, and a pool (which my wife kinda insisted on).

If you need me to look into anything for you while I'm down there just let me know.

Rod,

I rented a 19' at Captain Pip’s in Marathon. Wasn't bad $125.00 a day. Still don't hav a campground yet. If I stay at Knights I can take the boat and keep it at the site. If I leave it at Pip's I can't go out till sunrise and have to be back before sunset. Let me know what you think of Fiesta Key KOA and also any fishing tips. Have a good time and let me know what you catch.

Rick

Will do Rick. I hope to get in lots of fishing time! Are you getting the boat for the entire stay? If so, running it to the KOA won't be a real big deal. It's 20-25 miles but the gulf is almost always smooth as glass, especially in close to shore. I'm sure I'll be venturing down that far at least once, just to do check it out.

That is what I've been told also, but never fished off the reef in the keys. It's always to rough during the winter with a smaller boat, but April may be better for you? I have never been there past January.

I'll give you a report when I get back early March.

well ill be heading south tommorow lords willing (and my check dont bounce),musky bash tom while im gone tom throw a couple old fart jokes to musky ,Capt.Bill V keep trying to find a better way to fish salmon ,my advise go west till late july but i gots a lot to learn ,motoman keep buying stuff your gonna need all the help you can if your gonna outfish me,Yankee keep me up to date on myspace,ya find any goodlooking ladies with a nice boat and lots of money get me a photo of the boat thanks,diesel and fishtails good luck with the backyard trolling ,when the water goes down try jigging for browns in the toilet its a little warmer in the house go gentle the hook pulls out real easy,those 2 stupid rookies who got the free service call outa me and all my fishing hotspots good luck ,hey wait a minute free call and fishing tips hmmmm maybe im the stupid one ,guess the wife was right again.Blue Eyes keep the board running and our workforce unproductive. and in my most manley way and as a reminder ....................................................HAPPY VALENTINES DAY..........dont go home empty handed or she will smack ya,then again if you bring her something she might smack ya anyways.. Ray K.

i would feel a little perverted just taking photos of chicks ,but for a friend i could push aside those emotions and snap some pics for ya jason ,heyspeaking of pics i got a couple of you in your hockey (hmmmppppphhh )hat you might wanna buy or ill post em ,,,,,kinda a cross between blackmail and wanting to end a friendship i sorta like the blackmail part cause there is some money in it for me,un like taking you fishing for a day and not getting a dime for gas......but thats ok im shure youll return the favor by rod holders or candels (make your wife slave to make these items while you have a good time)