Cayuga 1/19

It was definitely a day on Cayuga for the hardy, especially when you're having heater problems. Browns were the big item today, we boated many in the 3 to 5 lb class, we kept 4 for dinner and released the rest. It was the first time I've used mini divers which most of the fish came off.

We were suprised that we didn't boat any legal LLs, however we did boat 2 bows in the 16" class which we released. We simply couldn't find the larger LLs.

BTW Zeke, Billy Barro was off his game today. He'll have to do better in the future if he wants to tag along.

It was another fun day and we hope the weather continues to cooperate.

Ken

Sliderman,I'm with you on the PM'ing.Ask Huntfrisco or Splitshot.We'll share with anyone who wants what little we know but we stopped posting years ago.Way to go out there......Zeke / Cyn ( Strike 3)

FOR SPLITSHOT...............108 >>>>2 HR>>>>>118

So you are willing to keep your info to those who already know... but aren't willing to share with everyone else... then what are you doing posting here in the first place? I'm not looking for info, just curious, why bother posting your report if it's not going to help anybody else?

I'm not saying stop posting, actually the opposite, more fishing talk is good, but I find this conversation a little funny... sorry, must be bored. :roll: :D

Sliderman, yeah I know what you're saying (and why my post was what you meant), I wasn't trying to push any buttons and it doesn't sound like I quite did, probably a post that should've been left unposted, but it did strike me a little funny that you guys were posting about not posting. That's all... sorry about the poor humor. Don't mind me much, sometimes I open my mouth (start typing) without thinking.

I'm glad you guys are sharing, I'm usually out there a lot, been wishing I could be now, so thanks for the reports... happy fishing!

Sliderman,

As Zeke posted, I'll give info to anyone, just not an open post.

Your post was about the quality of winter fishing on the lake was appreciated, as boats are in storage for the winter some of us don't have the oppertunity to sample what the winter fishery has to offer. If you ever need any info on the spring and summer programs that I use on the lake

feel free to shoot me a PM, I'd be more than happy to share info, (as most of the others that fish the fingers on the board will do). Who knows I

might have spoken with you in the past.

Splitshot115

Zeke, Way-to-go ;)

We didn't know Billy was compatable with a certain reel. If the reel appears we'll make sure Billy will be taken care of........can't wait to go again.

Folks I didn't realize what I thought was a harmlees post would stir up this much conversation..........well this site has been dull for some time so maybe the timing was correct!

It was great talking to you guys and look forward to future conversations!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have recipie for pickerel..............

Sliderman-

I found this recipie online the other day and I will give it a try this summer. I am not sure if you like pickled fish but if you do this should work for you.

http://debshouse-deb.blogspot.com/2007/ ... -pike.html

I suppose a catchy name for this recipe would be "pickled pickerel", but around here we don't call members of the Esocid family "pickerel". They are northern pike, or just simply "northern". Before the days of heavy fishing pressure and big motors and fish finders, there would be a 20 pound lunker or two lurking in every lake. Nowadays it is more common to find abundant numbers of northerns that are mostly 3 pounds or less. A lot of people don't like to mess with these "hammer handles", even though you can get good fillets off them, because they have "Y" bones that are like the little plastic filaments that hold the tags to your new shirt. These bones can be removed by cutting the fillets a certain way, but if you pickle the fish the bones dissolve completely.

I work with a guy who has recently rediscovered the tradition of fish spearing. He really doesn't like eating fish, however, so recently he gave me fillets from two northerns he had speared. I didn't want to bother with cutting out the "Y" bones, so instead I pickled them. I had recently "practiced" on some store-bought northern fillets, with excellent results.

With any wild-caught fish, there is the possibility of tapeworm cysts in the flesh, so it's a good idea to freeze the fillets for 48 hours, which will kill any cysts. Then, the first step is to cut the fish into bite size chunks. Put the fish into containers and cover with a brine of 2 cups white vinegar, 1/2 cup pickling salt, and about 1/2 cup pickling spice. Recipes will vary on how long to keep the fish in the brine, but usually it works out to be 5-6 days when I do it. Shake the fish every so often to make sure the brine gets everywhere.

After the brine is drained, soak the fish in fresh water for about half an hour or more. While the fish are soaking, prepare a mixture of 4 cups white vinegar, 2 cups sugar, 3 T. pickling spice and 2 tsp. mustard seed. Bring to a boil and let cool. Caution: if you let it boil for a few minutes in an area that is not well ventilated, you won't be able to breathe in the kitchen. Ask me how I know.

Then, layer the fish in jars with slices of white onion, and cover with the sauce. I pour a little white wine in each jar if I have any, and add some whole peppercorns. Refrigerate for a week or so, and enjoy. The home economist food police say pickled fish should be consumed within one month, but I see no reason why it would not keep longer in the refrigerator. Freshness dates on commercial pickled fish are up to a year.