How to run 3-4 dipsys without tangles?

Just wondering everyones theory on running more than 2 dipsys? Do you just turn your outer most dipsy on 2-3 and your inside dipsy on .5-2? I've always just ran one off of each side thinking it would create a serious mess. Maybe my narrower beam boat has something to do with it?

I run 4 dipsy's 2 per side. Inside set on 1 and outside set on 3. Outside dipsy is set farther back than inside. Need to stagger them otherwise you will have a problem.

Hope this helps

Brett

Yeah, and that's why the mags work better on the inside ones, because they get down deep with less line out. 

As John and others have pointed out, you want to keep the dipseys a minimum distance away from each other both in the horizontal and vertical dimension.  Having two #1 dipseys side by side for instance is more dangerous than a MAG on the inside and #1 on the outside.  This also helps when you have deployed your dipseys, catch a fish on the outside line and now need to redeploy.  If you use the same size dipsey as you deploy (even if it is on 3 setting) it will sit closer to the boat and sink deeper until you stop letting line out and let the drag on the dipsey take grip.  MAG dipseys help get the inside line deep and quick, keeping it out of the way of an outside line being let out.

Having said that, there could be benefit on keeping the two baits about 20 to 30' from one another, particularly if you are using attractors.  This helps make the two lines work together to attract fish.  I have created a chart for various zones of depth (depending on where the thermocline is) say 20 - 40 ft, 40 - 60 ft, 60 - 80 ft, etc.  For each zone I have worked out the best arrangement of dispeys to put on the inside and outside line, and length of line out to keep them around 20 feet apart.  This way once I know where the temp is I can quickly go to my guide and set my lines to exactly where I want them.

I run 4 dipsy's 2 per side. Inside set on 1 and outside set on 3. Outside dipsy is set farther back than inside. Need to stagger them otherwise you will have a problem.

Hope this helps

Brett

Is that with riggers?

I have been running mine on 2 and 4 with riggers, I'm afraid of tangling my rigger lines with dipsy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Chas0218

Yeah Chas, that is with riggers deployed as well.

Wow sorry for the crappy auto correct. I was in the middle of one of my classes coming in. I will make sure to double check my responses.

Thanks for the answer!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app