Running Flasher/fly and Spoons

If your running a 4 riggers with Flasher/Fly on 2 and spoons on the other 2. What is the pefered method Flashers above the spoons or below? I tend to run them above but curious as to how the more experienced guys run them.. Thanks

Lots of times I like the F/F above the spoon, with the spoon on a little longer lead behind and below the F/F. With this theory in mind. The flasher draws the attention of the fish to hopefully draw them in.  If they hit the fly great, but if they don't, as they drift down and away from the flasher they see the lone spoon all by itself and hopefully they look at it as a wounded bait fish behind the "school" and BAM! Just my .02

I agree with DJ's theory.  They say only one out of ten fish that goes after your lure will actually take it.  Search for "underwater salmon strikes".  Watch videos and you'll always see a fish that misses a lure either swims to the side or down, very rarely upward. 

If you have F/F & spoon on one rigg'r, a major factor to think about is  how fast you lower them.  F/F will not go down as fast as the spoon & if you go too fast you will get tangled if the F/F is  on bottom.  (assuming your stacking and not sliding)

Fishing solo and with two riggers, my high rigger has the F/F while lower has the spoon.  Kind of mimics the MUP rig where the magnum spoon (bigger) is on top.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Good luck to anyone that puts F/F on a slider - always a big mess for me.

Stagger them you will be surprised how many more fish you will catch...lot of time I'll run a big paddle up high and pull the fish into my riggers from ice box..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

my 3 rigger spread, 2 flasher flys on the outside riggers staggered and a spoon down the middle rigger higher than the flashers and tail gunned back. seems to work pretty good.

Has any body tried an all flasher fly program on there riggers?? Ive read some run as many as 4 flasher/flys off there riggers. I have never tried it.

Jason, How far apart do you run them?? I usually stagger my riggers about 10' apart once I see on the sonar where the fish are set up and where the thermocline is. I would be worried about a tangle running 3 flasher fly set ups off the riggers.

Edited by steelfire

I have done all above. I will start the day with 2 f/f and 2 spoons and let the fish tell me from there. Some days have turned into all f/f and others all spoons. I start with the spoons on my out/downs higher than my f/f but have ended up with a staggered setup with one spoon highest than f/f , spoon and f/f on the bottom many of times.

Hey tlomblardozzi...grab a mountain dew(crush...glow...whatever) spin doctor and a Big Weenie reel hooked up fly...tie the fly about 22 inches behind the spinny...a combo that produces for me!!!

On the dipsy, I try to make the leader as long as I can and still land the fish. For example, 10 ft rod= 8-10 ft leader.  If its longer than the rod it can get real hard to land a fish. Especially in a small boat.