Henderson Shipping Lanes

Went out to the "shipping lanes" between duck island and galloo on 6/9. Fished for about 2 hours before we headed back due to a few passengers feeling green....went 0-1, surface temp was 54.

Marked sporadic bait down 110 in 120-140fow but no solid marks with any consistency...

Going back out on 6/22. Anyone fish the Lanes this year and have any tips in regards to depth, location, speed etc.?

Litle Crappie

The shipping channel is outside of gallo   it is a channel where the freighters go down the middle of the lake. it is probably 5 miles or so past gallo. The is a wall there where the bait and fish pile up but you have to be careful about depth and rigger balls. been there a few times  hope this helps

take care

A word of caution:  When fishing near the shipping lanes you need to be very vigilant because these large ships and barges have the right of way and can come up on you faster and much more quietly than you might think. Many years ago I was out in that area with my little13 ft. Whaler. I was fishing for steelies and my 2 stroke 9.9 was pretty noisey....I happened to look in back of me and there was a huge double barge  bearing down on me and they didn't appear to see me at all. I cranked up the 35 and took off full tilt with my downriggers still in the water :)  I thought about carrying a second set of underwear after that :lol: .....I know.....I had no business out there in that little boat...

A word of caution:  When fishing near the shipping lanes you need to be very vigilant because these large ships and barges have the right of way and can come up on you faster and much more quietly than you might think. Many years ago I was out in that area with my little13 ft. Whaler. I was fishing for steelies and my 2 stroke 9.9 was pretty noisey....I happened to look in back of me and there was a huge double barge  bearing down on me and they didn't appear to see me at all. I cranked up the 35 and took off full tilt with my downriggers still in the water :)  I thought about carrying a second set of underwear after that :lol: .....I know.....I had no business out there in that little boat...

I'm not going to tell you you shouldn't have been out there you knew the capabilities of your boat and yourself.  People tell me I am nuts for fishing 5' swells in my 23' boat  :wondering: why have a big boat if your only going to go out when it's like glass? Plus I think it is fun skipping waves.

As for the shipping lanes, I haven't fished them but do pretty well on the trench.  I heard there is a nice drop off but I have done so well on the trench I don't have a reason to leave.

Went out to Galloo and the lanes yesterday.  Surface temp was 58.  Fished off of Galloo in 15-25 fow around 6:45 am, went 7 for 8 on Browns, 7lbs was the biggest.  The riggers took all but one, down 10-15 ft with blue dolphin Michigan stinger being the most productive.

Once the Sun did away with the morning bite, we headed out to "the wall" in 105-110 fow. Few bait pods, but only 1 or 2 marks that were definitely kings, so put down cowbells for lakers.  Managed 13 for 15 on Lakers with one tipping the scale at 20.5lbs!

We fished 2.6-2.8 knots for browns and 1.6-1.8 knots for lakers.

Hope this helps.