Seneca Lots of misses?

Decided to help the kids get off to school so I missed the first light bite.  Splashed down about 9 am...First miss right away...then trolled in the usual brown holes for a half hour or so then picked up a 2 or 3 pounder(20' rigger)...back in the water she went then kept at it for awhile longer with 1 or 2 misses again.  Then the 3 color core inline board was heading north while I was heading south!!!  landlock.... back in the water.  1 more miss on the 30' rigger.  Blown off the lake about 11:00.  Quick question...I am running 70 to 80 ft behind the ball...is this a bit to long and could be the cause of some of these misses or are the fish just toying with the spoon for some particular reason?  Thanks,  Andy

Try slowing down just a touch.  I found that when I am traveling too fast they will short strike the bait just knocking it free from the rigger release.  The other thing is to add a little tension to the release and crank the rod tip down.  I only run 30'-40' leads from ball to bait. Some of the guys run even shorter leads in the 15'-20' range.

Edited by Chas0218

Andy you got a good shallow water program going wouldn't shorten your shallow rigger leads to much. Tighten your release a little, sharpen hooks, and get that rod loaded up tip down to the water. Sean

Edited by Hookedup

Hook file , if you been getting them on the smae spoon a couple of passes with the file will work wonders...... the lead deal is dead on but some time you have to run long ones...... I've seen a landlock jumping behind the boat my leads were in the 75' to 100' range and could not tell which rod it was one because he ran at the boat.......  anyway so far this year on the east side it's been a bit murky 35' to 45' been ok I had it shorter one day but water was to clear so I dropped them back......just eyeball it Andy...........I have LOTS of misses on lead core......

Andy,

The info above sounds right on target. Take each thing singly and modify it as described and I think you'll solve the problem. If it doesn't then you'll at least know for sure that they are 'light bites" probably coming from fish that aren't really all that hungry because they've been chowing down already.

One thing I noticed is that you start at first light, and for the first few hours you get solid hookups.  Then as the day wears on, you will get dropoffs and taps that don't connect.  Ususally by noontime, the bits cease altogether.  So the less aggressive they bite, the more likely they are to fall off.