Since the water out of Point Breeze was still iffy with the cold temps and mixed pockets of color, my friend Tom (tcon) and his son Dustin decided to give the western coast a try. Temps looked like they split around the golden hill area and as we went down rte 18 the fog cleared giving evidence that was the case as well. Wilson was sunny at launch time. Light winds, and went west on 330 heading to 130 fow. Screen looked good in the 30 to 60 range so dropped the first rigger to 30 and turned to get another rod a off it goes in about 30 seconds. Dustin reels the first fish of the day, a nice eater coho with a moonshine hot lips in its face. Put it back down, same thing again only its Atlantic! First ten minutes two fish in the boat with one rod!

Went north, action ran out after 160 fow. Looking for kings now, and finally got more than one rod in the water, now we have 7 and its a slow boat ride. A couple hours goes by and not a rod is moving. Moved to 400 fow, good color but no luck...yet...with kings. Time for a change of baits. Pulled the 300 copper and put out a twinkie teaser and dream weaver bait head with Familiar Bite. Large spin doctor in sea sick waddler whipping it wildly. It was the turn on needed. It took a couple of bumps along the trip for 30 minutes. Checking the bait, we found the second bump tore off a hunk of meat and left incriminating teeth marks in the skin. Changed the meat. Now it gets hammered! Hookup! Tom grabs the rod and has what appears to be a bulldog tugging on a rag. Yank yank yank...then runs off yanking again. We thought gotta be a big one but turns out to be about 14 lbs king. Huge lamprey on it. Now we get another bait change and Tom throws down a big yozuri stick off a 30 rigger. It gets a nice coho. Another coho 60 down on a protroll and hawg wild fly. Then the 125 diver on 2.5 with a spin doc and nbk fly goes screaming off and Dustin is on the big 10 foot rod with a true battle on his hands. After some tense moments at the side and back of the boat with a 22 lb king trying every trick at last effort to get away, we finnaly get him in the net. Great job for the young man with a big rod and fish!

A great day on the water with friends! Many hits, 7 to the boat, and sunburned smiles

Mark

post-140268-13713229154099_thumb.jpgpost-140268-13713229575028_thumb.jpgpost-140268-13713230206656_thumb.jpgpost-140268-13713230918284_thumb.jpg

Edited by skipper19

Mark another memorable day on the water. Dustin and I both had a blast. Company first and the fish is always a bonus! Noticed that the reason it looks like Dustins hood is cinched up is because when he lifted the fish for the picture his hood strings caught in the salmons mouth...lol.

Tom

Edited by tcon

Bait was a little scarce..there was long areas of scattered bait like four boat length or more. There was nothing marking below 75 feet. That was in the 200 to 125 fow. Out deeper was worse picture. Color of the water was a brown greenish everywhere. Lots of sticks and stuff, water getting a little high. All in general there was less bait than usual, but we never went to the red can where things may have been different. 6 miles from the can mostly.

Mark

Mark another memorable day on the water. Dustin and I both had a blast. Company first and the fish is always a bonus! Noticed that the reason it looks like Dustins hood is cinched up is because when he lifted the fish for the picture his hood strings caught in the salmons mouth...lol.

Tom

"Noticed that the reason it looks like Dustins hood is cinched up is because when he lifted the fish for the picture his hood strings caught in the salmons mouth...lol."

Yeah! I saw that too!...that salmon didn't want to let go of him..said I'm gonna pull your strings some more! Haa ha!

Stan I wish I was still running out to Calif....I would love to spend a day in your water out there! Happy Fathers day everyone!

Mark