Olcott Sunday 6-19-13, Good fishing, Almost Sank

Lost the drain plug on the run out to 9-mile one morning.  Our motor looked like yours.   The starter failed a couple of weeks later.  Guess its insides didn't like being pressure washed with the water coming off of the flywheel.   Glad you have a story to tell and nothing worse!!

Holy crap!...Tim, glad you and everyone and the boat are ok! It's amazing the things that can go wrong...after...you are out and fishing.Folks,,, There are so many ways the lake can get in the bilge on a larger inboard boat. Scuppers, raw water washdown, bait circulators, water intake for engine, overboard drains for fish boxes, drain plugs, transom fasteners. Just to name a few...they are all connected by hoses, pipes, shutoff cocks, clamps, some sealants that crack, and they lead from inside your boat to the lake directly. They all can fail at any time. Rubber hoses rot, clamps break, all can lead to trouble. Even when inspecting out of water everything can seem a ok but pressures change when the boat is loaded and displacing more water and things can break under those pressures.

Good thing you know the normal sound and operation of your boat so you knew there was a problem in time Tim!

Nice fishing by the way..don't let the bad "dampen" your enthusiasm!

Mark

Need to make one correction on the initial report, the boat that suspended his charter and shadowed us until help arrived was actually Captain Roger Voorhees on the Hot Pursuit. Thanks Roger and sorry for the initial misidentification, things were a little tense out there at the time.

Tim

Glad everything turned out ok, listened to whole ordeal on 16 while fishing out of Point Breeze. Gut wrenching for sure to listen to. You stayed very calm with your radio transmissions as well! Great job Captain!

Tim, 

Glad you and your friends are all ok. I just received a 1600 GPH. bilge for my birthday for a back up to the original 500 GPH. bilge already in the boat.

One of my favorite expressions  "I'd rather be lucky than good". Glad you had help available and glad you made it in. You must have a water fired ignition system on your boat...Amazing

Bob

I heard the coast guard respond from the oak   on the radio but too far to hear yer end of the call ....Chad said you went to the front of the boat but the whole outdrive came out and the moter was useless..Also tell Chad chugging the beer and peeing outa the boat ant really bailing tho it mighta kept his mind off the situation...Yes thank goodness no beer was wasted and ya got fish to boot ....the bilge got a good cleaning,and our first responders got a good trial run.. not to mention the warm embraces of yer friends and "mother earth" (kissing the ground).....many years ago My daughter and i got hit with a freek storm on Seneca so Iknow yer feeling of seeing friends waiting for you at the ramp.. Thanks for sharing yer story ,We know yer not a novice when it comes to boats ,a little closer inspection to all our vessels and their safety systems Including some backups of our own (extra pump,fire ext. ect.ect.) might save some perfectly good tackle from the bottom .........well at least all at once.  Stay safe will ya !!! 

Glad to see you guys made it in. Scary as hell buddy. Had a similar experience years ago in Seneca lake. A fishermen was on shore and heard our may day and that we had a trailer in the lot. He and his brother got the trailer off my truck and hooked it to his truck and had it in the water when we pulled up. Just glad you guys got out ok. :)  :yes:

Howie

still a little confused on the " Sunday 5-19-13 "  hey was that you drinkin and peeing while chad bailed..

I do believe some synapses got fried the moment Tim opened the engine compartment.

Oops fixed the date, just another example of my stellar typing skills. :thinking:

roughrider, mine aren't, the scupper opening on my boat is just a 2" diameter hole bored through the transom with the scupper/check ball (supposed to be a 1 way valve) on the outside to seal water from coming in.  Problem with my boat is the deck is right at the water line so the scupper can go under water pretty easily.  I will be sealing that up, since where it is located, it really doesn't serve much purpose.

Tim

Good job keeping your cool. I heard the Pan Pan Pan sent out by the Coast Guard. They must transmit it Lake wide because I heard it in Sodus Point.

I was in a sinking boat two years ago because the Captain had paper towels clogging up his bilge pump and water was coming in through the hole where the electric and cables run through the transom for the outboard Motor. The water was about 2 feet deep in the cuddy and starting to come on to the back of the deck when we finally noticed - 3 miles off shore in 50 degree water. Pretty nerve racking but not nearly as scary as your ordeal.

Edited by stoutner

Tim,

Gald you and your crew are ok. 

Dad and I had a similar situation about 12 years ago with our Sea Ray.  Same scenario with water being thrown by the belts.  I managed to get to a beach and stick my outdrives in the sand while we plugged the scuppers and the bilge pump caught up with the help of some bailing!   Ours turned out to be cracked scuppers.  Everyone who has scuppers should inspect them frequently as they get worn from even just UV light.  

Situations like this remind everyone to check your ditch bag and inspect life jackets!

Brian

The boating industry does us all a disservice by supplying only plastic scuppers. The sailing community has mostly large brass scuppers that last forever. I have looked everywhere for brass ones and can't find them to fit our small openings equipped on power boats.

One of the best things I had on my ocean boat was a lighted bilge switch. If the bilge was running the light would be on. In a displacement hull with a stuffing box there was always water in the bilge that would slosh around when running making the bilge switch intermittently light up the light as the water sloshed. I knew I had a problem if the light went on and stayed on for longer than normal. Thanks GOD the times it did stay on was just the switch getting stuck up aganst the wall in the bilge (lobster boat with narrow deep keel). A shake of the hose would set it straight again. Point is I always felt comfortable knowing when my bilge pump was on and when it wasn't. Might be something anyone with a larger boat would want to have for cases like this.I also carried a hand bilge pump. Jus make sure you get one long enuf to reach into your bilge and still dispense the water over the side.

I believe you're on the right track sealing up those holes. Not worth the risk, especially at the waterline.

Spike

That must've had some serious "pucker factor" to it. Wow.

I carry a hand bilge on our boat, but with a 2" stream entering, I doubt like hell it would keep up, as I've tested it before.

Years ago a local guy, picked up a new-to-him boat in Sodus, and was making his way back to the LSR, as I believe he told me.

It caught fire and went down, after those guys went into the water(and were rescued) to escape the blaze.

Made the hair on my neck crawl listening to him tell it.

Hope we all have a safe season!!

Scott