Cayuga 06/15/13

Great day on Cayuga launched at Myers at 6am.  Didn't get third rod set when rigger fires small LL.  Fished West shore up to Boy Scout camp with 8 fish in boat before 8 am mostly small salmon, ended up going 12 for 20 with one nice 19" rainbow that was released.  Lots of small salmon lost two big fish on FF down 120'.  The fish were starting to key on 60' down in 90 to 150fow. Kept one legal salmon and a eater size laker.  Bob Barker from FLT did the most damage followed by the Alpha Alewife on dipsy back 180 and 220.  Lead core and flat line on board all took fish, awesome time to be fishing...  Tremendous amount of bait by the Boy Scout camp.  Anyone catching browns on Cayuga where did they go? 

Saw a huge brown jump 30-40 feet away this morning, had to be 15 lbs+ easily.  I seriously wouldn't be surprised if it were 20 lbs.  Looked like a freaking whale jumping out of the water! Don't know why a brown would jump but I'm 95% sure that's what it was.

Nice going with the LL, we had trouble finding willing lakers jigging near Taughannock and Milliken.  Found some fish, not a lot, but they were not biting much for us.  (We were out today not Saturday.)

Edited by hermit

I have a theory that the browns that are around are bigger and a bit smarter than the average fish.  Just to add to the report the speed that was producing was 1.8 to 2.0 we tried faster but nothing.  Usually the slower troll helps pick up a few more lakers but not on Saturday.  Hermit do you think it has to do with moon phase, heard a lot of old timers talk about how the lakers feed due to the moon phase anyone do any stats on the subject or are there any articles ya' all know of?         Good luck next week Barry!

The moon affects fish a lot, we can be out after a full moon and nail a few first thing early then nothing. Then you can look at your watch and know at about 9:30 they will start back up. I keep good records its funny the patterns you figure out. Sean

For me, I used to try to figure out the moon stuff but realized it wasn't really going to effect my fishing habits in that I just go when I can, but I agree it has an effect especially on clear nights.  I've heard several stories of huge fish being caught on the full moon at mid-day.  I'm guessing they feed at night then the big berthas get hungry again later, perhaps more so than the smaller fish. 

My personal best brown came just that way.  Mid day, full moon, massive low pressure system moving in (remnants of hurricane Katrina) and wham, giant brown.   I only wish the guy taking the pics did the fish better justice.  I don't like seeing a bright moon high in the sky before dawn, it does seems to slow the early bite, like what Hookedup said.  The week before a full moon is like this.  Slow early, picking up later.  It does seem to affect the lakers too. So many variables though I could be wrong about any of it.  (Except the pb brown I remember that quite clearly.)

Edited by hermit