I had purchased a new otter boat because I heard they track better especially in choppier water. I can't get it to track right though. I have it set out on the starboard side and if I just slightly turn the boat starboard the board will turn towards the boat and go slack. I have tried adjusting the string loop every which way and still the same problem. 100% positive the keel weight is on correct. Not sure if I got a bad board or what. Anyone else ever had this problem? Or any ideas why it's happening?

Play with the rope to get the length right. From the front of the otter boat to the knot to the rear of the otter boat.   Some of the other guys can post the length of the front and rear of the rope,

Edited by Big Dave

The keel goes on the outside edge set of holes on the board so that it angles outward. The weight of the keel is also facing outward. On the inside edge of your board (the side nearest to your boat) you attach the tow rope. You make a loop in the tow rope to attach your planer line, however the length of the tow rope in front of the loop is a little shorter (around 7" on my board) than the rear portion of the tow rope (around 8-9" between the board and the loop). I had to mess around with my tow rope on the board to get it just right so it would track properly with coppers.

If your board is going too slack when turning towards the board, it might be b/c you are trolling too slow <2.0 mph. In my case, I have never been able to get boards to track right on my boat when I troll <2.0 mph. I have my planer reels amidships and at slow speeds there's too much slack in the lines and they won't run properly no matter what make/mpodel of boards.

Good luck,

Chris

My tow line is 9.5 on the front and 12.5 rear. Offset the front hole for the double-keel: 1 1/8 inch to the left for the left board. And then 1 1/8 inch to the right for the right board. Lower the string holes 3/4 inch.

They pull like mules!

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE