I had the kids out for one last time before graduation stuff gets in the way. It was nice to see some color in the water, so we started East in the 10-20' range looking for some browns on stick baits. Screen was blank, and we gave up after about 1.5 hours. Started running NE towards Sodus. Again the screen was blank out to about 80'. Had a few marks but nothing doing. We did have 2 violent releases on the wire/Dipsy rods with nobody home. I set out a mix of spoons, SD/flies and even a cowbell rig. Nothing doing out to 130'. Decided to kep heading out since there were some boats out deeper. More blank screen, and we were running out of time. I decided to set deep, and hoped to pick up a laker on the way in. Thankfully we managed to pick up one 9 pounder to avoid the skunk. We let my daughter reel that one in, and released it. It was getting a little rough, and we had a good run back to the marina in 1-3' pounders.

DEC was at Hughes doing a survey. They told me there was very littlle coming in that day. We were in about 1PM, and some of the boats were in. They confirmed what everyone has been saying. It has been very slow compared to last year. Lots of folks targeting and catching lakers to put something in the boat.

I ran into the Penned Up boat yesterday at the launch. He said he was fishing the derby. I hope he managed to put some fish on the boat.

Cheers,

Tom

post-143290-0-91392800-1371408721_thumb.jpg

didnt post Saturday night, because it was late and it wasnt much to post....but same here in Pultneyville.  Caught 2 lakers and one small king.....lost another 3 fish....I assume lakers, by head shake.  All fish in that 110-130' of water and flasher/fly hits, except the small king on a yellow NBK.  For 5 hrs of trolling, it was bad.  Did slip out to 230 foot, but didnt venture any further on this trip.  Tough water to fish right now.  Temps 70-80 foot down were still 49-50 degrees.  Found some 45 degree water between 80-90 foot down, over the deeper water, just didnt want to troll much further north at that point, but I have to believe kings must be off shore, since i am not hearing reports they are close.

Jay

Our trip out of Sodus yesterday was very good. We worked mostly W - NW in 90' - 115' and had a steady pic all morning. We ended up 7/8 mostly lakers on bells but took a very nice 20# king on a 220' wire dipsy. We quickly released him without event. We to had another violent release on a 260' wire but after 3 or 4 minutes he managed to shake the hook. I won't complain...

Our trip out of Sodus yesterday was very good. We worked mostly W - NW in 90' - 115' and had a steady pic all morning. We ended up 7/8 mostly lakers on bells but took a very nice 20# king on a 220' wire dipsy. We quickly released him without event. We to had another violent release on a 260' wire but after 3 or 4 minutes he managed to shake the hook. I won't complain...

Nice! What did the kings come on?

Glad to hear somebody was having a better day.

I have two questions about cowbell rigs. Do you find any color consistently better than others? Also, what lure have you found the most effective at the end of your bell?

Thanks,

Tom