Slicing Wire and Copper Backing?

I'm now down to 450 to 500' of wire on two of my four wire rods.  My question is whether it is advisable to slice new wire on or simply replace the entire line.  I came very close to getting spooled a couple of times recently and need to get more wire on soon.  If you do splice, what type of knots do you use?  I saw a video on splicing wire once, but can't seem to locate it now.

Also, I bought an Okuma Clarion 553LS that Slippery Sinker told me could easily hold 400' of copper.  My question is how much 50lb PowerPro backing I can fit on this reel with 400' of copper.  Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

never spliced wire but for your other question.  I have the same reel and 300 yards of 50# power strike spectra braid as backing and 400' of 45# attomik copper on it.  Im not sure if the PP is a different diameter or not.  That thing is filled to the brim, the reel is awesome.

Heres a link to the line I bought (when it was cheaper): http://greatlakestackleshop.com/proddetail.php?prod=PS-005

I wouldnt suggest splicing your wire. Pick up a new 1000' spool and start fresh.

As for your Okuma Clarion 553... it will hold 500' of 50# braid backing