Lake O Conditions

Ok, so will be my first trip to Lake O this summer. Most likely Fair Haven. 221 Islander. 9.9 kicker, GPS, Fixed VHF etc.

What should I be listening to on the radio/tv the night before or early am before heading out? i.e. For my size craft, is there a report to listen to to get info on conditions and such? What times of the year are typically windy and choppy/rollers and when is it "typically" calmer?

Type into google NOAA Lake Ontario wave forecasts. Click on the link, ontario map will show up click on area of fair haven twice and you will have a weekly report of the winds conditions and forecasted wave conditions. If there calling for storms you also want to be paying attention to the radar. No reason to ditch a good day of fishing just cause there's a chance of storms, many times storms bring up and go right around you just want to pay attention to that radar. Wave conditions can always change and certain winds produce bigger waves. A steady east wind will prolly give u some big waves in fair haven id imagine. Other people could give u the downlow on that tho

the weather reports for lake conditions are usually very wrong (in my experience) and man dont sweat it!!! what i usually do is just look at winds and direction of it.. i will look at the U.S side and the canadian side in different cities. the average wind during the day in summer is usually what? 15-20kmh? i have been out many times in those conditions whether its sunny or not and the lake is fairly smooth. with a 221 islander i wouldnt worry to much, just have all your safety gear and think ahead. though it does have its days i find lake ontario a pretty smooth lake. i havent been on erie but georgian bay/lake huron is a pretty rough lake, a good day on huron is a rough day on lake O

We don't have many blowoff days in our 18 ft alumacraft...usually if charters can go out we're able to without worry of clients and seasickness....winds across the lake( west sw nw) over 20 might want to call a local tackle shop to save a drive if that's a worry...otherwise trolling slowly out isn't usually an issue it's the ride in

all depends on the wind direction...5-15mph wind is normally a good day but 10-20 starts to get dicey.  If the wind is coming from land and you are not too far off shore then you get a little break.  I usually go to www.wunderground.com, type in your fishing location and go to marine maps.  If you have a smart phone you can wake up in the morning and at least looking at the current wave conditions.  You can always just troll with the waves and fish in 3-4 foots if you are dedicated!

http//www.fishweather.com

Try this website and play with the maps with your mouse.

This will give you the wind speed in many locations in real time.

Edited by rolmops

Definitely look for sites that give you multiple times.  i.e. past and/or predicted future...look for patterns.  If it's been calm for a few days, you can expect a change.  Same for winds - "blows" from the west generally last 3 days.  At Fair Haven, at least you have a pretty bay to fish in case of a blow-off.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Definitely look for sites that give you multiple times.  i.e. past and/or predicted future...look for patterns.  If it's been calm for a few days, you can expect a change.  Same for winds - "blows" from the west generally last 3 days.  At Fair Haven, at least you have a pretty bay to fish in case of a blow-off.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

thanks. I haven't had the experience in the 221 Islander yet here on my waters to determine what is comfortable or not. we rarely get above the 2' chop range which is no big deal at all in this craft. Would like to hear from other 221V Islander owners their comfort zones

Check out this site – click the “more†& move your mouse through the hours.

http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/bufMarineWeek.php

Also check this site. (don’t forget to scroll down.  Click on Forecast & Nowcast pull downs.  Find Lake Ontario.  Scroll through the time scales.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.php?lake=o&ext=swt&type=N&hr=00

Put them both together & you should be able to get a good idea of what’s going on out there.  Look at normal map of Lake O.  The direction where the wind travels the least over the water will give you the calmest water.  i.e. South wind & you can be out there all day with no chop worries. 

Typically during the summer, (and right now) early morning is calmest.  Winds start to pick up a little around 9-9:30. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)