Sodus Point Monday evening 6/17/13

Got out of port at 3 o'clock with a couple of new comers to Lake O fishing. Luckily had a couple of veterans with me to help set up, untangle lines etc. I hate taking first timers out because it always seems like some extra pressure to catch fish.

Trolled around for about 2 hours and didn't have a single rod even wiggle. Was marking some fish here and there between 120 and 160 FOW. Worked our way west toward Hughes and the screens kept getting better and better. Finally the 125 deep downrigger fires. The fish bull dogged down we all thought it did not trip the release. I even grabbed the rod and was sure the release was not tripped. Anyway, a minute or so later we realized it was tripped and it was just a slob fih bull dogging down to the bottom. 10 minutes or so later we landed our first of thee day which was a 14 lb lake trout.

We trolled a little further and had another Laker on. I decided to turn around and hit the same waypoints again. Next shot was a Triple Header! Landed all 3 fish and one of them turned out to be a nice little 7.5 lb Steelhead. The rest were lakers. Turned again on the same waypoints and doubled up. More lakers. All in all we went 7 for 11 with the 8 Lb steel head and 4 of the Lake Trout over 10 lbs.  

firstpic.jpg

Making a mess carving of the fish!

fish2.jpg

Cruising in with a nice sunset at our Backs. Man does this 11 Meter ride nice!

fish3.jpg

Edited by stoutner

Awesome Wayne, did your 'first mate' bring his gimble mounted grill and make bratwurst?!?!?!?!  hahahaha..... glad you guys got into them, cause our stories were sounding too much alike...no rods moving.  Tonight was totally different....but last night was a skunk! :shake:

Jason

Nice Job! :) What was your best set up?

Kyle,

We were catching most eveything off downriggers. Mountain Dew spin doctor with Atomik live series fly. Also running a 3 blade beer can setup with a medium sized spin n glo.Pretty much running the riggers on the bottom. Even the steelie came in on the Mountian Dew SD with the rigger down 135 or so.

Awesome Wayne, did your 'first mate' bring his gimble mounted grill and make bratwurst?!?!?!?!  hahahaha..... glad you guys got into them, cause our stories were sounding too much alike...no rods moving.  Tonight was totally different....but last night was a skunk! :shake:

Jason

No. I could have used some grilled Brats though!

Way to go Wayne! Hopefully it won't be too long before the kings show up in decent numbers! Can't wait to see your new ride in action!

I'm sure we'll see you soon. I was going to try to fish the Atomik this weekend but just couldn't pull it together. We are in for the Oswego and Sodus Pro am...and the Atomik Invitational too.

Hughes is about 7 miles west of sodus. It is a campground and an official weight station of the LOC. norm has done a nice job extending docks and putting in new ones. We launch out of Hughes on day trips because it is really easy to launch and it is sheltered from the wind.