Lake O newbie

Guest )()()()()()()()()()()()()(

Hey everybody, just bought my first boat and slapped some downriggers and rod holders on it to try my luck on Lake Ontario.  My boat, a 1988 StarCraft 191s with 205hp merc I/O.  I didn't know who he was at first but it used to belong to Mike Kitchen (not a hockey fan). 

First few times out were disappointing to say the least, hours with no fish.  I launch out of Bluffer's Marina in Scarborough, ON. I tried everywhere from 50 feet - 200 feet of water.  I've never fished our lake from a boat before, I usually head south and fish salt water for anything big...Does our Lake hold any big fish? Is anybody willing to lend some info as to where or how to catch them?  I only exercise catch and release when I fish so I promise to return them for future enthusiasts :)

I really can't wait to explore this site and enjoy the many benefits this community can provide, as well as enter my input where I can.  Feel free to say "HI"

post-152699-0-56272400-1371563951_thumb.png

Welcome aboard XR, looks like you got a nice ride for lake O, with an open bow you will have to be careful with rough water days, I assume you already know that, but search the different forums to find out what you might be unclear about and if you can't find an answer by all means post your questions in the forum you think is right and someone on here will try to help you out. This site has the most knowledgeable folks I know, and they are not afraid to share their knowledge with others. I also found out that there is no such thing as a dumb question, so don't be afraid to ask a question no matter how stupid you might think it is!! All in all this site will get you on the right track, and once you start to finally catch fish things will start to fall in place for you, when I first started I found that I took down notes which helped me a lot, and to this day I'll find myself looking back in my little book of tricks, such as leader lengths, from the flasher to the fly ect. what colors worked on cloudy days vs. sunny days ect. Good luck and tight lines to you PAP.

Welcome to site.  For a 1st tim'r, you have to learn to experiment. Play with speed, play with depth of lures, play with speed, play with lures, play with speed, play with leads, play with speed, play with direction, play with speed.  Let's see did I say play with speed?  :)

Many guys will put a lure out & troll at the speed they see fit.  It may not be what the fish want. Many fish will come out of their comfort zone to hit a lure if it looks enticing.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

BTW - Play with speed.  Easiest way is to troll in a zig-zag pattern.

Thanks for the welcome msgs, much appreciated.  As for speed, I play around with speed a lot...from 1.?mph - sometime just under 4mph...that's provided my sonar is giving me accurate readings (Lowrance Mark-4).  

Since my first post a buddy and I have managed to land a few rainbows...I don't know what's good or not for Lake O' but I was happy with them.  Of course, now that I have managed to get a fish onboard I've gained pro status (hahaha)  it's time to enter a tourney.  Kidding naturally!  I'll see if I can get the pictures uploaded, would be nice to see if they are decent for our Lake

Here are a couple that we caught :)

post-152699-0-11795800-1371825237_thumb.jpg

post-152699-0-03268900-1371825238_thumb.jpg

Edited by xr8dride