What size dipsey do you use?

I have read a lot about colors but not much about size when it comes to dipseys. We are currently running a 2 diver setup out each side with wire line and 10' dipsey rods. As a rule, Lake Ontario salmon are our target species when we have them out. Any advise would be appreciated.

I run mags with a ring on wire when I want to get below 50 feet. I also use a DW snubber with the mags I seem to get better hook ups with the snubber and mag dipsey. If I'm targeting the top 50 I use a 01 with no snubber.

You don't need a mag diver to get to 100'. Mag divers will reach those depths with less line out, but sometimes getting it away from the boat with a 001 diver is better. On a 2 setting with 275-300' of wire out should get you to 100' down. Even when we run 4 divers we run four 001 divers. Very rarely do we go to a mag diver. We never use a snubber on our divers.

Up to around 40' deep I use #0

Up to around 60' maybe 70' deep I use #1

Below 60' I generally prefer Mags.

It also depends on where you place the dipsey. For instance if it is on setting 3 and you want to

get down to 60' - you are probably looking at a MAG to get there. That's where the curves come

in handy.

You don't need a mag diver to get to 100'. Mag divers will reach those depths with less line out, but sometimes getting it away from the boat with a 001 diver is better. On a 2 setting with 275-300' of wire out should get you to 100' down. Even when we run 4 divers we run four 001 divers. Very rarely do we go to a mag diver. We never use a snubber on our divers.

This^^^^^^^^ I run the walker 107mm which I believe are the same as a 001 dipsey. Always have them on a 3 setting and as a general rule I use 3:1  line out/depth achieved. I have touched bottom many times in 100+ fow with around 300' out running 30# 7 strand wire. I don't even look at the tables that come with them.....I think they are for mono.

The only thing with that much line out is tangles.  I like to get deep fast to keep the lines from crossing anything as I deploy. I also use 4 dipseys so my inside dipseys are going deep and closer to the boat (which is why I prefer MAGs for my deep lines). Then I use the #1's on 3 setting to get them away from the MAGs.

I use #1 down to 100+. I have hit bottom in 120 feet with a #1. When I start using copper and cores off boards, I switch to mag dipsies in order to go as deep with less line out to avoid tangling with my board lines.

Walker deeper divers 107 for me. They can go over 100' depending on setting. I run 3 sometimes 4 without issues. Best thing for me is no rings to worry about. Run insides in 1 and outsides on 3-3.5 this is with 3/4 rigger spread also.

I use each of the sizes of divers for different situations and depending on the particular body of water. The smaller ones I use with 20 lb. mono in shallow water or running  say 20-45 ft in very deep water and yes they do hit bottom in 40 ft.of water with mono at 2.1 mph on zero setting as evidenced just yesterday. I don't use them for Kings on Lake O  that way though. I generally use the medium divers for depths to about 70 ft. and 124mm DEEPER DIVERS for 80-125 ft. on 7 strand wire. The additional thing I do when I want additional depth from divers is use an inline cylindrical weight with an integrated swivel attached between my main line and the diver instead of just letting out more line and risking more tangles. Yes it adds a bit of torque to the rod but not all that much and it does get you deeper unless you are trolling in the ocean at 8-10 mph or perhaps going against very strong underwater currents :)  It also depends to a degree on what you have attached to the diver (e.g. Spin Doc/fly vs. just a spoon). Another thing to do is check out your particular setup behind the boat on the surface and see how it is running (yes it does run somewhat differently sub surface with currents etc.) and try to use lures that you know run at compatible speeds so that you can then adjust your general trolling speed downward so that they all (or most) run well at that speed and yet go deeper. On the Fingers at least often times folks run too fast and cancel out the action of their lures (especially speed sensitive lures like Suttons) and experience "light bites" and poor hook-ups.

Edited by Sk8man

The only thing with that much line out is tangles. I like to get deep fast to keep the lines from crossing anything as I deploy. I also use 4 dipseys so my inside dipseys are going deep and closer to the boat (which is why I prefer MAGs for my deep lines). Then I use the #1's on 3 setting to get them away from the MAGs.

I second Mark. I use the mag divers with rings on, with a 1 or 1.5 setting to get down and deep closer to the boat, and then run standard 1 divers at a 3 setting on the outside to get away from the boat and stay higher in the water column. The only time this can be an issue is if you have severe currents down deep and you turn the boat to quickly, you have to visualize where that diver and line is, as it crosses your transom with riggers down there. Tangles are almost inevitable at some point.... Just have to work at reducing the frequency. like a lot of these guys, I have mags, size 1 and 2 and slide divers, to cover all depths and distances away from the boat. Play around....

I use #1 down to 100+. I have hit bottom in 120 feet with a #1. When I start using copper and cores off boards, I switch to mag dipsies in order to go as deep with less line out to avoid tangling with my board lines.

Jekyll what was your down speed to hit that deep with a #1?  I don't think it is possible at 2.5 mph. Maybe at 1.5 mph.

Jekyll what was your down speed to hit that deep with a #1?  I don't think it is possible at 2.5 mph. Maybe at 1.5 mph.

I bounced bottom with one of those stainless divers off ebay in 110' multiple times at 2.5mph. They are the same size as the luhr jenson divers.

Thanks again for all the information, people. It has removed some of the doubt and answered most of the questions I had. Now time to put this info to work into our program.

C'mon Kings!!!

If your up this weekend stop down and we can show you what and how lol....Honestly I have not used them in 10 years or so but there are people here that do  and I will have them show you no problem..

its quite simple actually..

Would have been 2.0 to 2.2 on the Depth Raider that day as I was dredging up August Kings. The setting would have been 2 to 2.5.

Edited by jekyll