Light Dipsey set up

My friend wants to fish for browns at a lake back home in Pa with Dipseys . I know what I use on the big water will take the fun out of catching the browns. What do you guys use that will hold up to the constant strain of the dispey on the rod but will also allow him to enjoy the battle without skipping the fish across the top of the water? I am guessing a ugly stick would hold up buy wondering if anything else is out there.

As Pete said have him run Slide Diver Lite Bites. We run these with 50 lb pp braid here on Lake Champlain for LL Salmon.  You can get the lure as far from the boat as you want then set the diver and set it to the depth you are fishing. You can set them so even some of our newly stock salmon (7-9") will set them off every time but they wont trip till you jerk them from the rod end. Awesome rig for smaller fish.

I'll recommend them to him. I use them with good success on lake as well. I think he's still in sticker shock from finding out what it all costs. From the rods, to the reels and holders etc. I think he has a new appreciation for fishing with me as all he had to do is show up and fish with me on Lake O and we caught fish. He Didn't have a full understanding of what all goes into it to get started in trolling.

believe it or not i use a 6'6'' very very light rod (even fairly light for pitching to bass lol) loaded with 20lb powerpro and it works AWSOME. i have caught sooo many fish with the setup including a 23 pound king and has been flawless.

just because your running dipsies doesnt mean you need heavy rods or line. though many im sure will say something against my post it is by far the rod i like catching fish on the most, it is fun and i have never lost a fish on this one either it has always had solid hook ups!!

i will say on that setup use only the small dipsies... the large divers really do put a huge strain on your tackle.... but the small divers with this combo is my favourite

me? the one im using is i think a shakespeare rod - it is approx 45 years old... its VERY old and well used thus losing backbone to it lol. i have it paired with a shimano socorro 6000 spinning real though loaded with 20lb powerpro