Salmon and trout

as long as water temps dont exceed 60 degrees you should be able to pick up browns at first and last light with spoons and plugs.  8 lb line is fine and the local piers like hamlin beach or the oak are a good bet.   Later in the year, mid september it will pick up.

as long as water temps dont exceed 60 degrees you should be able to pick up browns at first and last light with spoons and plugs.  8 lb line is fine and the local piers like hamlin beach or the oak are a good bet.   Later in the year, mid september it will pick up.

Thanks whaler1, much apreciated. I went to salmon river last fall, what a mess that place is. I really want to catch some salmon and the lake trout, I've been fishing for many years but never anything like this. 

Welcome to the site.  Yes they can be caught from shore if you're there REAL early as Whaler said.  Like before sunrise.  Definitely light line - 8 tops.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks Longline, nice to have access to support and advicefrom people who know. I'm looking for a few trips up there this summer.

Keep your eyes on the surface temp map (located on the left side of the home page on this site)  periodically the lake "flips" and it puts cold water on shore during the summer months.  When that happens a lot of the fish head for warmer water offshore however some, mostly browns, will congregate in shallow water.  When this happens you can definately catch some off the piers.