I got a new boat (new to me anyway)

Last night I went out and picked up a 1992 Spectrum 1706 with a 90hp Force.  I know alot of people dont like Force and I dont have any say one way or the other since I dont have nay experience with them.  So please keep the horror stories to a minimun :lol: .  Anyway, the boat is 21 years old and it needs some work but I will get to it eventually.  It will be good enough for me and the kids to get out this year!  I do have a few questions mainly on the motor, and have not been able to find the answers on line yet.  The motor was painted black and I have no paper work on it.  How would I go about finding information on the motor, is there a comon place to find the cerial number so I can trace it back?  I am looking for the mixture I need for the gas and oil?  Is it pretty common for all motors or will it be specific to the motor brand / hp?  What would also be helpfull for this is if anyone knows how big the fuel tank is on this particular boat?  If I cant figure out the size I will just use a 5 gallon gas can and fill up the tank until it is full.

Then I will need to redo the carpt and 1 spot of wood on the back deck.  Would anyone recomend using a linolium type of product instead of carpet for the floors?  Also any recomendations on a water proof cover that will not break the bank?

One of these days I will get the down riggers mounted and then I will pick your brains on the trolling stuff, but that is further down the road.....

Thanks for any input guys!!!

Here's what you need for a floor covering. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/vinyl/_/N-1100628/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104672880?WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104794380%3Bcat104711580

Force motor owners are in 2 groups, love em or hate em. Pretty simple engine, nothing high tech about it. I would think if you keep them oiled with the right mixture and keep the carbs clean so you don't run a cylinder lean, it should be an okay motor for you. I'd guess the fuel oil mixture to be 50-1, but you need verify that. Personally I'd run that motor first on a portable fuel tank you know is clean and throw in a can or 2 of Sea Foam. For the built in tank, I'd make sure it is empty of all old fuel and free of water or other contaminates. Then I'd put a 10 micron filter between it and the motor before using it.

Almost the only thing that Force motors and Mercury outboards have in common is Factory ownership. The Force is older Chrysler technology with added parts of older mercury technology.

The Chrysler parts are great, the Mercury parts not so much. The best way to to enjoy this engine is by running it on a 40:1 mix. That way you pre-empt a lot of the problems that this Mercury step child may cause you.

About 5 years ago I completely stripped out the interior of my boat, carpet, floors, seats, wiring, console, everything... I replaced the main floor and casting decks with 3/4 inch marine plywood (also 3 coats of water proofing) I also used all stainless screws to attach the floor. I purchased the highest grade marine carpet that I could find and attached it to the wood floor with a commercial grade rubber cement. I did the project over the winter as it did take a lot of time cutting and fitting the carpet around the seat boxes, livewells, console, lids etc... my project still looks like new after 5 years.  One trick that I did learn was when cutting the carpet use a new blade every cut or 2 and make sure that you cut through on the first cut, by doing this the carpet will not unravel at the edges and save you time and money, I would think linolium might be slippery when wet but I'm not sure. I bought a new cover for the boat from Bass Pro 4 years ago and its holding up well, I store it inside all winter but it sits outside with the cover on it from April until November I think it cost around 150.00. As far as your motor goes I can tell you that I had a 1972 Chrysler 55 hp many years ago that ran like a top, I sold that boat and motor to a guy in Albion NY 18 years ago and he is still running it today. Good luck with your project! any questions that you may have give me a shout .  585-354-4075 or reply on this site.

Thanks for all of the replies guys!!  I will try and post a few pictures of her later.  I hope she lasts me a few years and maybe more.  I will probably wait a little bit before I do any work to her so I can use it for a bit to see if I want to change anything.

Shellback - What is Sea Foam?  And what would be the easiest way to empty the built in fuel tank??

Thanks again!

As mentioned above, there are usually decided groups that love/hate Force. From what I've seen, most that love/like them have actually owned them, and the rest pass along the horror stories that they "heard" from others.

Call them a step child or whatever but of the three I've owned (still have a 50hp from '98 and a 35hp from '86), none of my other motors start so quickly or with such little fuss (comparing that to motors I've owned in the past as well as the ones I have now.).

I can't agree more with the sea-foam (again- there are decided groups for/against). It's made several motors of mine run like new. I usually run some through the tank then fog with it till it stalls, pull the plugs and shoot some in the cylinders, turn it over a few times and let it sit for an hr. When you crank it up you'll clear out your whole neighborhood with a cloud of smoke!

Oh- the following was the best summary I found on force from another forum...

"Chrysler sold the engine line to Bayliner, who I believe are the ones who gave it the Force name. They wanted low cost engines to factory rig their boats, perhaps an idea of ahead of it's time.

Then, when Brunswick purchased Bayliner, these probably unwanted, and mostly obsolete, engines came with the deal.

Mercury decided to spruce them up and improve them, with Mercury gear cases/props, CD ignition systems, etc., and market them as 2nd tier engines. I understand, they were actually pretty good, but not really hot performers and with a second tier, "cheapout" image for the owners. The situation spooked Yamaha and OMC enough that they downgraded their own lines, removing oil injection and other items, so they, too, would have a second tier line. OMC called them the "Special" engines, with odd ball HP number to set them apart. Yamaha had a designation for theirs also. As clean technology became mandated, this engine had to die, so Mercury dumped it in favor of putting Merc engine son Bayliners, and all their other brands also.

Look at it as an economical motor, without much re-sale value. But it will get you around."

Edited by Meals-On-Reels

I re did an old Starcraft a few years ago and used kiwi grip over sealed 7 layer plywood. It came out great! Way easier to clean than carpet and not slippery at all. Would use again in a heartbeat. Buy the recommended roller and goes on in a snap. You can just throw a bucket of water on your salmon slime and blood while out on the lake. Close second to the high end big boats with fiberglass decks.

Thanks for all of the replies guys!!  I will try and post a few pictures of her later.  I hope she lasts me a few years and maybe more.  I will probably wait a little bit before I do any work to her so I can use it for a bit to see if I want to change anything.

Shellback - What is Sea Foam?  And what would be the easiest way to empty the built in fuel tank??

Thanks again!

Sea Foam is a gas additive for cleaning the carbs and combustion chambers. NAPA auto parts usually carries it, and Walmart too. I'd pull the fuel gauge sending unit from the tank if it is accessible. You should then be able to visibly check the condition of the tank. Dirty fuel will haunt you!