Canadice Lake

BRB23

Never fished it but did check it out a few years ago. From what I can recall there is a road to the east shoreline with maybe a few cartop gravel launches along it's length. It used to be an unimproved(?) lake with no cottages/buildings ect. Similar to Hemlock and I think it's a watershed for Rochester so there probably is a hp limit for open water. I recall seeing a map and I believe it's pretty deep. You might want to check out www.iceshanty.com for better, current info.

Boomer,

Canadice is a blast. Fish the South end for pickerel, bass and panfish with tip ups and jigging or Fish the middle of the lake (90' of water) and jig lakers with pastics and jigging spoons ( I have better luck on plastics). You will need a flasher to get the lakers in numbers. A lucky fisherman without electronics may get one. Be very careful over deep water. This lake can have some really inconsistant ice. Last season, there was 12" of ice with open water 100 yards from where I was fishing. Feel free to PM me for more details.

Went out saturday, anywhere from 3-5" of really solid black ice everywhere I went. Pretty slow...tried the south end..Got a 20" laker on a tip up over 50 ft of water about 10 ft below the ice. That was pretty interesting...but even more interested was the laker I caught in about 25ft of water jigging a wax worm off the bottom for panfish...the lakers must be everywhere in this lake. But all we got over 8 hours was those two fish and a decent size perch...

Rusty Rat, could you please explain the process of jigging for smelt? Bait? type of jig? Light source needed? How do you keep them alive? This sounds like it could be a lot of fun and result in some good catches. I like the idea but would appreciate more details. Thanks....Swamp Fox

I have only done it once there. I'm sure if you go on a fri or a sat night there will be guys out on the north end jigging smelt. Find them and go watch and ask questions.

They will stay alive very well in a bucket, Just change out the water if they start looking bad. The water has to be ice cold. Its tough to keep them alive at home unless you keep them cold with an air pump. Ask my wife about live smelt in the fridg with the air pump. :lol:

I have always used a 2 in pimple, take off the hook and put a 2 to 4 in leader of 2 to 4 lbs test with a size 12 or smaller hook baited with a mousie. Keep the light right next to the hole. Not sure of the depth there though. usually 3 to 6 ft under the ice if I remember correctly. I think some guys just use small jigs with a bait and a little peice nylon stocking. I gues if they short hit they get their teeth caught in the stocking. ( I have never done that though) Lots of little needle like teeth on those buggers.

Good luck

RR