My Dipsies are drunk!?

Just kidding, but I'm having problems with them. Both of rods are pointed towards back of boat at 45 degree angles. Both.seem to stay to the back or sometimes they will wonder off to one side (current?). Both have snubbers, and that happens with around 150-170 ft of line. One is about 5" the other one is about 3". Both are set to 2.5-3. Any ideas why?

Hey Kuba....I think first of all I'd ditch the snubbers. but the tracking situation could be a number of things - first of all is the actual settings on the dipsey. Make sure the thing that turns to set it is not too loose, secondly make sure it is not set at the outer limit near the 3 because if even a tiny bit past it it will track poorly and sometimes even surface without releasing. Next check your boat speed because it is not just the angle of the rods...look at the angle of your line and slow down and check the position of the dipsey as you do. It also depends on what you are running in back of the dipsey ...if it is something with a lot of action or maybe too large for that particular dipsey it can keep it from working right. Check to see that it is going outward when you turn the boat to the opposite side. If not, jump overboard.... :lol: ...just kidding don't do it! Double check the release part of the dipsey to make sure it is engaged properly.

Kuba,

This might sound simple, but make sure you have the Dipsy on "L" for port, and "R" for your starboard side of the boat.

Please don't take offense if this sounded simple but I can't tell you how many times newbies on my boat have them set the wrong way b/c they think left and right is when they are facing rearward instead of facing the bow.

Also, make sure the weight isn't sliding around - there was a bad batch a few years back that cracked and the set screw in the center would allow the weight to slide around.

Good luck and be safe on the water,

Chris

Edited by momay4000

The weights are tight. I will look into this Saturday.

First time I came out at the beginning of the year, when I only had one, I had it backwards ^_^

Lol

If you have the type with rings and are they staying in place? I used to have to use hot glue on the outer edge on some to keep them engaged on the dipsey They are mainly to control depth but if flopping around.....? As far as the L and R I just keep mine in zip locks and label it left or right (port or starboard) with a permanent marker and those are left preset to near 3 so they stay out away from each other and the other stuff.I have others that I make the adjustments on and I often run smaller ones (0) off the outriggers set at zero usually. I might add that the more line or wire you have out they usually head somewhat closer to each other and back a bit and I'm wondering if this is what you are referring to....are you by any chance running them (the rods and rod holder off the back or near the back of the boat? I usually run mine from the center or even some of the front rod holders...to get the dipseys to the side of the boat. where you want them to be....just thinking out loud.....

Edited by Sk8man

All good points mentioned above...drunk and falling out of the boat, well...ahem, maybe not! haha! It may appear that your lines are running parallel to your direction, but it really isn't if things are set right. The more line you let out the more it bows in the force of the water going past it. Less line out like near the boat and you can see the dipsy pulling away visually moving from the side of the boat. Think about how much pressure the water puts on the line when trolling 2.5 mph or more. The larger the diameter of the line the worse the belly in it becomes as more line goes out. In reality, it is in a curve away from the boat and is further out to the side than you think. The diver can pull the last 50 feet or so line out more to the side than the first 50 feet that is coming from your rod. It's a curve in the water. If that makes sense...Hey what's my other braincell doin? Oh there it is.. getting a beer...HA!

Mark

All good points mentioned above...drunk and falling out of the boat, well...ahem, maybe not! haha! It may appear that your lines are running parallel to your direction, but it really isn't if things are set right. The more line you let out the more it bows in the force of the water going past it. Less line out like near the boat and you can see the dipsy pulling away visually moving from the side of the boat. Think about how much pressure the water puts on the line when trolling 2.5 mph or more. The larger the diameter of the line the worse the belly in it becomes as more line goes out. In reality, it is in a curve away from the boat and is further out to the side than you think. The diver can pull the last 50 feet or so line out more to the side than the first 50 feet that is coming from your rod. It's a curve in the water. If that makes sense...Hey what's my other braincell doin? Oh there it is.. getting a beer...HA!

Mark

Yes it actually looks something like this, except the dipsey rod is bent way over :)

diverLayout.jpg

Tim

You've got to be more optimistic Tim and bend that rod right over like we all have dreams about....oh.... that's right....it is still June :lol:

I think it's less noticeable and less of an issue if you run the rods perpendicular (90*) off the side like Tim shows in his drawing and not 45* off the back. When I factor in the bend from the drag, my 10'6 rod is still 6' or better off the port/starboard sides and clear of the riggers.

Just don't try the 90* thing if you're running cheap rod holders.

Rods should be perpendicular to the boat and as close to 4 inches off the water as you can get them without dumping them out of their holders!  I use a black and a green so I know which one goes on which side without looking.  Best of luck...wire dipsys work!!!

Every response is spot on.. also one more thing. If you let the dipsy out too fast she will spin.. this causes it to dive funny and never release when a fish hits.

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I second Nicks post from experience. :(   Could not figure out why the wire was wrapped around the release.  Anywho make sure you let it out ON A DRAG!!!

I always let my divers creep out on a light drag, just slowly creeping their way out.  Not only does this prevent tangles, it fishes it's way out to your intended destination. 

You'l lbe amazed how many times that thing gets smoked as it is creeping out. especially first thing in the morning when the fish are feeding up high and out of temp.  I have had quite a few mid-upper 20's kings smash a wire diver first thing in the morning as it is creeping out, just shortly after it was put in the water, where it couldn't have had more than 50 or 60 feet of wire out.

Tim

• 1 month later...

dipsey divers can "go bad".  they adjustment plate warps away from the release body and they are untuneable and will track straight behind the boat.  this may not be your problem but it happens.  lots of you guys are probably running warped dipsies and don't even realize it.  I have set the adjustment to where I use them most and screw them tight together then grind the heads off the screws and there good to go forever.  unless you have to change the adjustment.  then your bummin.

Every response is spot on.. also one more thing. If you let the dipsy out too fast she will spin.. this causes it to dive funny and never release when a fish hits.

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ditto here had this happen to me and had such a problem till I figured it out that tracy wouldn't touch a dipsey rod as they would not trip and they are a **** to reel in twisting and tangling worse the whole way. As soon as I used the drag no prob and first time I did got my best ll salmon of the day on the way out, and it zeroed me right in.

justin