Conesus Lake tips?

The Family and I will be heading out to Conesus lake to visit in-laws and camp on the lake in August, well myself and my two boys are avid fishermen here in San Diego mostly fishing for large Mouth Bass and Rainbow trout in reservoirs.

What I'm looking for is tips for fishing this lake , is the LM Bass bite good? or should we be trying for something else?...any tackle or rigging I should anticipate bringing? , is shore fishing good or? any and all tips are appreciated, first time to be fishing outside of California. Thanks Mark

The largemouth fishing on Conesus will be good at that time. Fish the weedbed on the North end of the lake with jigs, spinnerbaits or top water. Drop shoting is also good just outside the weedlines all over the lake. Just watch out for bite offs from monster pike and tiger musky. This lake is loaded with them. If you want to fish pike, troll over the points in the North end in 30' of water. The big pike will hang on the points at this time of the year. I like running bomber deep diving long A's. Firetiger has been the best over the years. Good luck.

The lake has awesome potential for consistant northern Lmb, 4 & 5's all day. But....it is fished hard by locals and tournaments by august....So be patient and work the outside weed edge at about 12' of water any where on the lake ...good luck

The only other thing I would add is that there can be very good topwater action first thing in the morning and last light in the day. Try buzzbaits, zara spooks, and chug bugs over the tops of the weedbeds and around the points. Don't be suprised to catch a big northern or tiger musky this way either. It's quite a sight to see a fish nearly a yard long come out of the water to hit a bait!!

• 5 months later...

Here are the names and phone numbers for the two marina's on the lake.

Leisure Time 585-346-2260

Smith Boys 585- 346-2060

In addition to the weedbed fishing that had has been previously stated, this is one of the premier dock fishing lakes. There is rumor that this lake has the highest number of homes/cottages per lakefront footage in the country. Consquently, there are many docks in the the water that hold a large number of bass. While these bass are a northern strain, they wont grow to the size you have in California. However a recent three hour tournament, produced a five limit bag just over 24 pounds. Not a bad limit anywheres, even for the bassmaster elite tournaments they stage at the prime spawning times for lakes out your way.

Jig or creaturebait the weeds ,dropshot,topwater,or skip those docks.

Tight Lines

John M

I fish there every week! The best times are from sun up to 7am and about an hour right before dark. The topwater bite is amazing if you are on the right areas. You'll know becasue you can see them. Other than that hit the weed edges flipping whatever bait you have confidence in and remember these are NY laregies so they get to about 4-6lbs. Dont come out here with a rainbow trout Huddelston and expect to take a 14lb fish. :lol:

If you want Pike hit the weed edges with crankbaits! I tossed one around for bass this weekend and caught 5 pike back to back to back.

Thank for the info.....Do I need a fishing liscense in NY or some kind of permit like we are required out here in Commiefornia?

Try this link. Scroll down the page to see Non-Resident rates.

:arrow: http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6091.html

Welcome to New York and the Finger Lakes. I'm sure you will be impressed. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Pike bite is hot right now. Been fishing for bass the last couple tuesday nights and have been hooking them and getting bit off consistantly while fishing for bass. Last evening was tossing topwater and the pike were lighting the surface up. Some truly feroscious strikes on the surface.... Had one on last night that was a yard long if not bigger. Primarily the south east shoreline along the weed edges.....

Well we are back from NY, we had a great time , wish I could have fished more but had a good time regardless...My kids had a blast catching a million bluegill,perch and catfish ...and we caught quite a few bass on dropshot using magic worms in the 4.5" length, Clear-Black Flake-Chartreuse Tail (#12 on this page) I suggest picking some of these up they work wonderful on the lake.. I didnt get any bites drop shotting other worms....

http://www.magicworms.net/WormsPages/Wo ... TWorm.html

Thanks for all the tips I appreciate it...