Seneca New to Fingerlakes - Sunday to Wednesday trip

Hi,

Read a little on the forum in the past days, since my son and I will be camping at Sampson state park from Sunday till Wednesday. So i thought would be good to join the forum instead of just lurking the info. We'll bring our Lund Rebel 16’ and will be jigging (maybe little trolling with DD) for trout in the morning and then switch to some bass fishing.

Thinking of focussing on the north part of the lake, but suggestions are very welcome!

If you see two Dutchmen in a (brand new) red Lund Rebel XL 1625, it's us....

Ton and Bas.

You might be able to save some gas  in checking things out initially by fishing right out from the marina itself if you are going to jig. There are nearly always lake trout lurking about out there. Just head right straight out of the mouth of the breakwall in the center of the marina and watch your depth finder.... for bait and or fish. They will usually be bottom oriented there (lakers and in shallower sometimes browns).  if nothing of interest there head to your right (north) on a diagonal toward the beach area (still on the east side) gradually going deeper. They could be in 40 ft or 125 ft right now not sure....but there should be lake trout there. If not successful there keep heading slowly north on the east side and you will see a point and a building there they used to call the Officers - Club try fishing straight out from it or slightly north in 70-120 ft. I'm pretty sure you will connect with lakers at least at some point through there and still fishing, pulling copper and jigging are the best ways to hook up with them in those areas.

Edited by Sk8man

I think so...anything in white is often good. Good luck with it. There are a million places around there to get fish and the perch and bass are right nearby as well. Otherwise you can spend a lot of time and gas just looking around it is a pretty big (and deep) lake :)

It'll gonna be hot early next week, so a little boating once in a while is probably not too bad... :) ...and as mentioned I have a new 16' aluminum boat with only a 60 HP 4-stroke, zipping gas, literally...

Never mind, appreciate the recommendations and will definitely follow up on them!

Ton

If you already have jigged lakers you probably already know this but even if you are not seeing lake trout marks on the bottom Don't give up on the area. There can often be lots of them on the bottom but they have their bellies touching the bottom. Drop the jig to the bottom under transducer and watch the fish finder. Sometimes 4 or 5 will magically appear as your jig gets near bottom .