Keuka/Trout jigging 6/21/13

Hit Keuka Lake @ 5:30 AM, State Park with an old bass fisherman friend, he wanted to learn something about trout jigging (yeah he came with me ?????? :wondering: ) and the functions of the Minn Kota Terrova Auto Pilot trolling motor I had just purchased before he too bought one. I have been having outboard motor problems the last 3 outings, & the Minn Kota has saved the day each time, trolling with it has been a dream with the auto pilot and the cruise control (highest obtainable speed has been 2.9 MPH against a 10MPH head wind), and the "electronic anchor lock" has proved flawlessly, highly recommend one for those with 17' boats :yes: I have a Lowrance Elite 5 fish finder/chart plotter hooked up to it's built in transducer (had to buy the "adapter" cable), picture was par excellence ALL day. ALL my trolling gear was brought, BUT was left in the truck after a discussion at the boat launch, my "old friend"  :wondering:  reminded me how we learned plastic worm fishing, spinnerbait fishing etc. etc. was by going out with just those items back in the day  :dull:  we were off the lake by 10:30 we went 5 lakers with MANY misses (amazed watching them ROCKET off the bottom on the fish finder, and "unbuttons) we WILL be better next time.We shared the lake with few "Valley of The Shadow" looked like they were having a good day trolling and reminded my partner every time I saw their net come out when ever they past us.Fish finder pic shows the clarity (sorry none with actual pics with fish in them, we were busy with those times to take pics or think about pic taking) the top of the view shows my partner's jig, the bottom mine, took us awhile to figure out why mine shows a double line, any guesses ?

it's my swivel at my braid fluorocarbon joint :)  yeah the view is that good ! 

post-144605-0-98576700-1371814424_thumb.jpg

I think jigging is the way to go anymore on Keuka after our experience on monday with trolling. Valley of the Shadow was out then too near us and he only had one laker at that point just before we quit and we had the same....beautiful days to be out though  and it doesn't get much better than the scenery on Keuka (and the wineries aren't too bad either :)

Sounds great Marty!  If you're using the lead head jigs a stinger like mentioned in the thread below helps a boatload to keep those Keuka fish buttoned up tight, I wouldn't go without over there. When out with Guff last fall probably 3/4 of the fish were hooked on the stinger.  Sounds like a real fun day!

Edited by hermit

Great pix of the Elite 5 screen.   I will be on Keuka next weekend and have a Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2.  would you mind sharing the settings you were using to give me a place to start?  Ie: surface clarity, noise reduction, sensitivity, fishing mode.   I have had good luck but am always looking for a better view...we will be rigging, DR, and jigging.   Thanks - Lobster

Great pix of the Elite 5 screen.   I will be on Keuka next weekend and have a Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2.  would you mind sharing the settings you were using to give me a place to start?  Ie: surface clarity, noise reduction, sensitivity, fishing mode.   I have had good luck but am always looking for a better view...we will be rigging, DR, and jigging.   Thanks - Lobster

Let's see, surface clarity low, noise reduction low, sensitivity is 100%......BUT it's set on "auto", general fishing mode, I'm using the white background.........for me the ticket was the "ping" speed mine is set on the fastest, hope this helps Lobster, yours might have more advanced settings available........I'm also using the built in transducer on the Minn Kota Terrova  GOOD LUCK ! will be waiting for a report !  :yes:

Thanks so much for the settings info....looks a lot like I use...sometime I play with the fishing mode but not sure it helps.  I'll check the ping speed.  Good Luck and Thanks again.   :hi: