Navionics lake maps for the big O

Erbyjoe

I talked to a guy from Navionics yesterday concerning the 2008 premium lake map for the northeast that just came out. My question to him was why they cut off the lake Ontario map at around Rochester(I hope it's not from guys wearing Crocs :lol: )this map only covers from Rochester east so it does not cover the Bar area to Rochester The guy wasn't sure why this happened but that the only way to have a good map of that area was to get the Marine classic map for lake Ontario for $129 or the great lake marine chip for $199(I think that is what he said) it will look like a chart you get if you go to the ocean very little contours but depth readings every where and all the channels are marked as well I figured I would pass this on for those of you that fish in the western part of the lake.I fish all thru out New England I didn't want to spend $400 on maps .but It's still going to cost some bucks :)

Just Lake Ontario

The lake # for the Marine chart is US849L

http://www.navionics.com/Charts_Classic.asp

for the gold chip for the great lakes

http://www.navionics.com/Charts_GoldPlus.asp

Thanks for passing on that info Erin. Why they offer so many different maps and their site gives very little detail about each is beyond me. I'm more confused now than I ever was. Originally I was going to go with the Navionics Gold and get the free Fishin Chip, then I was set to get the Hotmaps Premium, but the more I thought about it, I really would like to have the Western basin on a chip. So now I need to look into these options. All I want is ONE map that shows all of the depth contours and navigation aids of Lake Ontario.

If there's anyone affiliated with Navionics out there, maybe thay could chime in here???? I sure would like to see each of these maps in action before I dropped $200.

Only issue I saw with the Gold was that it stopped showing contour lines after about 30 FOW. Does yours show contour lines every 3' or so over the entire lake? If so, you have a different version than the one I saw a month or so ago and I'd like to know which one it is!

Billy From what I heard was it's just lkie a marine chart you get by the ocean just depth #'s not lines I agree with just one map.The preium map Billy shows Fair Haven great so that's a plus for you but as far as going west your in the same boat I am if you only go out west a couple times the classic for $129 is the way to go then get the premium maps for your home base.

Scott,

Did you get the Fishing Chip with that too? I've been told that if you buy the new Gold that they'll send you a free fishing chip that has contour lines but most of the navigation stuff isn't there. We fish out of the same port all the time, so the navigation stuff isn't as important to me as all of the contour lines are.

Thanks for your input on this, it really helps.

I talked to Navionics last night they are going to try and get the web site guy to visit this site I told them it would be great if they could pop in and answer some questions. Time will tell.I hope they do Billy I also forund out that the classic is and old modle GPS chip that might not work in the newer GPS units so they said the gold Marine map is good

• 2 weeks later...

i just bought this chip last year for my Humminbird: NAVIONICS SD/14XG GOLD XL9 SD GREAT LAKES & MARITIMES Like ScottB said the contour lines are spread out, but it can't be exact or you'd never be able to differentiate the depths because it would clutter the screen with readings. I got the Fishing Chip with it for free (had to send for it) and love it.

Bought it on ebay for $181.21 from: glm_electronic ([email protected])

Lot more chip than I'll ever need.

Hey all,

Thanks for the invite to participate! Actually had my first chance to fish up your way recently. Gawd you have some slob smallies up that way!

Anyhow. Let em rip. I will do my best to answer your questions, sorry if I am a little inconsistent with participation (biz travel and a 2 and 4 year old at home keeps me from the "fun" stuff!).

As far as Lake Ontario is concerned, the BEST map is the 14XG. It includes the entire lake (all of the great lakes and Maritimes actually), was updated in December to the most recent govt. updates, and included the Fish n' Chip for US waters (this is a bathy only data card that has about 15X as much bottom contour data-but no navigation data). If you are serious about fishing the Lake and some connecting waterways, this is the best (and, today, most current) on the market. $199 Us unless you have a chart to trade in, then it will net down to $125. That includes the fishing info. Link here http://navionics.com/Charts_GoldPlus.asp

HotMaps is designed to be an inland fishery product. we do, however, include most of the near shore data for Lake Ontario in US waters. But, if you fish Ontario mostly, you still want the 14XG.

Food for thought...Whats the cost of gas in your area? Since the shortest distance between 2 points will use the least gas, a good map pays for itself quickly and will save you a TON over its lifetime!

Hope this helps!

Jeff@Navionics

Hi Jeff welcome aboard and thanks for posting and please tell I believe her name was Cindy(I hope :D)Thanks for passing the request to you. I was the one inquiring about the Lake Ontario chip. From what I gather on the 14xg map chip are you saying that the fish and chips is already loaded in the 14XG chip or is it a separate chip? Thanks again for coming here and talking to us. This is great.

Thanks Jeff, you eased my mind that I made the right investment. Welcome to the site. There's a bunch of great folks here with a wealth of knowledge on Lake Ontario. I'm sure we will benefit each other as time goes on.

If you think the smallies are big around her you ought to try the salmon. Fantastic!!!

The FnC is on a seperate chip, so it does require removing the nav. chart and inserting the fish chart. That inconvenience will likely go away at some point, but today, it is the only manner that we can provide you 2 different data sets. It is a plotter function issue that involves the way the charts are selected from the cartridge.

However, if the data is good (which it usually is), 1 minute to swap charts is going to pay dividends with more fish at the rail-particularly for species that relate to structure (hmmmm...which ones don't?)

Heres a quote from Gary Caputi, Editor of Salt Water Sportsman

Dear Navionics,

While fishing with Capt. Terry Sullivan for striped bass recently he showed me his latest secret weapon, Navionics Fish'N Chips bathymetric charts. It was loaded on his Lowrance LCX111HD color depthfinder/plotter and as soon as I saw it I knew it was something very special.

I'd been fishing these waters for over twenty years and thought I knew most of the "spots", but looking at the Fish'N Chips chart I was able to pick out a dozen new areas that should be feeding stations for striped bass, bluefish and fluke. The chart also provided detailed visual explanations about why some of the spots I had been fishing over the years that were marked only as waypoints on my chartplotter were so productive. The bathymetric lines are so detailed that the pictures they draw are nothing short of amazing! I'm not sure where you managed to obtain such fine scale soundings data, but I have never seen this kind of detail in an electronic fishing chart. I do know one thing...I have to have it for my boat!

Navionics has hit a home run with Fish'N Chips, and once any fishermen who understands structure fishing sees it in action he will have to have it too.

Gary Caputi

Offshore Editor, SWS

Jeff, I would like to get the best mep for the eastern end of Lake Ontario centered around Fairhaven. What would be correct chip to purchase? Would the addition of the Fish'N Chip give me the detailed bathymetric contour lines of the bottom off Fairhaven? Thanks in advance for your learned advice.

-Steve D

Steve if you are not going to fish further west than lets say sodas bay the hot map premium 2008 has a great map of the area. I have the 2006 map and it was great detail for fair haven and to the eastern basin. If you want to fish the bar you will need the 14XG gold map. Hope this helps

Steve the hot map doesn't need the fish and chip that he talked about it's only for the Gold 14XG map. If you buy the gold map it is given to you for free but the hot maps have great contours and all the stuff you need for the fair Haven area I have to get the gold chip because I'm going to start fishing the Bar area and the hot map doesn't go that far west you will be good with just the premium hot map for $150 Hoge marine has them for less here is there site.

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Navionics-H ... rem-e4.htm