My new to me boat pics

Here are the pictures of my 1992 Spectrum 1706.

post-140056-0-23714200-1371921098_thumb.jpgpost-140056-0-36601800-1371921126_thumb.jpgpost-140056-0-03079200-1371921161_thumb.jpgpost-140056-0-28007500-1371921193_thumb.jpgpost-140056-0-85923300-1371921220_thumb.jpgpost-140056-0-63202400-1371921248_thumb.jpgpost-140056-0-14744000-1371921276_thumb.jpg

When I get it running and used to it I have a pair of older Big Jon Captains packs I may put on it, but I dont know a lot about trolling.  That will come in time!

Here are the pictures of the 90 hp Force motor.

post-140056-0-41559100-1371921434_thumb.jpgpost-140056-0-93613000-1371921461_thumb.jpgpost-140056-0-59706300-1371921489_thumb.jpg

Just wondering if anyone in the area knows where a good place to take a boat to have it worked on?  I live in Big Flats and not sure I really want to take it to Jamisons unless it is the only one that is recomended.  So I went out last night and bought a pair of those ear muffs to try and start it up and I could not get it started.  It was my first time trying to start it on my own.  When I went and looked at it they started it right up, so I am guessing that they had it warmed up so when I got there it would start up with out a problem.  Now I am not an engine guy at all and I do not really know anyone so I guess it would be the best bet to go get it looked at professionally.

I am sure I will be back asking more questions.  I plan on adding some more to the boat like a tachometer, maybe a newer trolling motor (if the one that came with the boat does not work) and I need to find out if I can get a new transducer that will mount to the trolling motor for my Lowrance x67c.  I would like to use it as a flasher for jigging for Lakers.  Thanks for all the help and comments!

Sweet boat...the family will appreciate the cover to get out of the weather!  Anyways, did you choke it?  Just asking because I did not know at first that you have to push the key in to choke it as you start it.....

Oh BTW.....check the TETHER SWITCH!!!!  That has gotten me once also!!

Edited by adirondackice

Just a run-down of the good info already given here.

- Check to be sure tether switch is in place (usually has a cable that can clip to you and the other end usually clips to the motor control/shift box)

- Squeeze the primer bulb on the fuel line till it's firm and maybe half a squeeze after that

- Hook up the muffs and get your water going

- Advance the idle just slightly without putting the boat in gear (depending on your controls you'll either lift a little lever above the shifter or press in the center of the shifter to advance it without shifting it into gear). Again- just slightly.

- Hold the key in to engage the choke while you turn it to start. When it turns over and catches you'll have to feather it on and off to keep it going till it is warm and runs on its own. Just enough choke to keep it from stalling, but not so much that you cause it to stall from too much choke

Everybody has their own way but I figured I'd just give mine in case it helps. What I mentioned above works perfect for the two Force motors I still own as well as the Johnson on my bigger boat. My four strokes are the same but I never have to advance the idle with them.

New plugs and fresh fuel are great ideas also.

Nice boat and good luck!

Thanks for all the replies and help!  I took the boat to a friends house and we changed the plugs put in some new gas and oil with some fuel stabelizer in it.  Checked the tether switch and hooked up the ear muffs.  The boat started on the second turn of the key with a little choke.  Turned the motor off only after a couple seconds as we noticed that the ear muffs were on the wrong spot!!!  Duh...

So we got it to start and then when we tried again I think we flooded it.  A couple things I noticed, the bulb WILL NOT get hard?  Should I replace it and the lines going to the tank and engine?  My ignition is loose and trying to choke and turn the key is a challenge.  I need to replace some of the wiring and fix the turning ignition allembally. 

A couple of questions (well actually a bunch but I dont wnat to ware out my welcome here) that I am going to post in a new thred as I dont know how to post a pic in the quick reply box.

Thanks again!!!

Good going- glad you got it started!

Keep in mind that once it's warm you probably won't have to start it with the choke in and you also don't need to prime the bulb each time if you've already had it running that day. Sorry if that sounds stupid, not trying to underestimate you, just covering all the issues.

The primer bulb on some boats never seems to get rock hard, but if yours feels firm all the time you may want to replace it. The become dry-rotted and sometimes hard to tell what's going on.

If the whole ignition switch is turning then there should be a nut you can tighten right around where the key goes in. Sometimes you can remove the key, lightly hold the ignition assembly with pliers and snug the nut up without having to get inside the control housing.

If you have to get inside, it's usually not too bad. There are usually 4 really long screws holding the assembly onto the side. Remove those and the whole assembly will come off and you can then reach inside to hold the ignition assembly while you tighten it.

If the bulb won't get hard u prob have a leak on that line somewhere . Replace

The line with bulb, dirt cheap if u get it at Walmart. I have an 18ft Lund Tyee with a 100hp Evinrude and I always have to give the bulb 2 or 3 squeezes before she'll fire. Soon as the bulb is hard she pops. Good luck, nice boat